Denon 3801 Dropped Digital Audio

All,

DVD audio suddenly stopped working on my Denon 3801. Still get sound through analog connections from VCR. Replaced DVD player without change in digital audio behavior.

Stumped and looking for advice.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Fifield

Coaxial connection or optical ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Seen bad solder connections on the various chips on the DSP board. Not for the Do-it-your-self-er. There are hundreds of solder connections potentially involved (surface-mounted IC's). I have seen resoldering fix various problems like this. Denon does not sell boards for the most part.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I am running coax.

D.

Reply to
Douglas Fifield

Ok. First assumption has to be that the cable is ok ? Next two most likely things are that something has happened to the amp's selection of digital in, and a bad connector at the amp end - you tried a different source I think you said. Some of these Denons select digital in automatically as a result of sensing data on the digital input, but some have to be manually selected. I'm not suggesting for one minute that you don't know how to use your equipment, but I would say that it's very easy to get confused with amps that have manual analogue / digital input switching, and to get the wrong mode selected. I can sometimes sit puzzling over the right setting for 5 minutes or more - and I mend the things for a living ... !!

As far as bad connectors go, if they are not regularly disturbed, then it's fairly unlikely, but still a possibility. Worth just pushing on the socket. Beyond this, you're probably not going to get very far, without test equipment. My next move would be to 'scope what's coming out of the coax, then to follow it into the amp. Does your DVD have an optical out that you could try ? I'm sure that the Denon will have an optical in. One final thing that you might try, if you're OK going inside the amp. Many of these AV amps are constructed using a mother board, and then plug-in daughter boards for input processing, digital processing etc. I have on many occasions had the connectors on these boards go a bit iffy. It would be worth just gently pushing down on, and rocking any boards connected to one another in this way. I have to say that 'genuine' digital processing faults of this nature, are pretty rare.

I have service manuals for several common Denons on DVD, but unfortunately, not that model, so I am not able to be more specific.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily