Who OEMs Dell laser printers?

Past and present OEMs?

Trying to see what brand toner they use...

Thanks!

Reply to
DaveC

Can't say 100% since I don't have one, but I believe it's an OEM Lexmark.

Reply to
Genesys

You believe right. Suggest the OP googles "Dell 2330dn lexmark equivalent".

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Actually, the question you appear to want to ask is "whose marking engine is used in Dell printers" as any OEM probably still buys the marking engine from someone else!

If you have one, why not open it up and see whose name/PN's are on *that*?

Reply to
Don Y

Considering the fact that DELL IS THE OEM, not the other way around.

In computers, an OEM is someone who buys an item and slaps their name on it.

In automobiles, it's the other way around because the US Congress screwed that pooch too.

HP started out OEM'ing Canon laser printers, Apple OEM'ed the same printers, with an added Adobe postscript board. This small development of a desktop laser printer started a whole industry, and changed Canon from a successful camera company to a very large office product company.

They still sell cameras, but it is a very small fraction of the size of their office product divisions.

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
Reply to

Sorry about being bitchy...

The crux of the matter is if the toner cartidge has a roller. I know it doe s on my HP. Or they actuall becasue there are four.

the way I see it, you are here to try to save money on toner. the best way to do that is to refill the cartirdges youself, and unless there is some so rt of page count shit in there like ther eis in my HP, you can do it foreve r.

Toner is toner. There is a slight possibility that it is different for a Te ktronix phaser printer but tha tis not the issue. This toner is the same sh it they always used in Xerox machines in the 1960s. It might be a bit more refined but if you know how the thing worlls you know the toner has to have certain properties.

If that Xerox machine they pulled out "Secret Weapons For Silent Wars" from worked, which it did, that same toner can do the same thing in your laser printer.

If the granules of it are ot fine enough or something it might cause wear o r something, but think about thee life of the unit.

I remenber this Pontiac that leaked the fluid from the differential all ove r the back brakes. Know what I did ? Not put any more grease in. Thing is, that rear end would last about ten million miles with grease, but only mayb e a hundred thousand without.

A hundred thousand miles from now ? I couldn't care less.

The thing to find out if how it tells when the toner is low. If there is no chip issue like in mine, just find out where to drill the hole and be refi lling it.

Standard copy machine toner should be fine for most printers for the black. Getting cyan, maganta and yellow is a different story. If you go to refill ing them yourself, look at the places selling the stuff. They may have some caveats like "DO NOT USE IN X PRINTERS...) you know.

Funny sometimes you can learn alot from peole who are trying to sell you so mething.

Reply to
jurb6006

OEMs would have you believe that there are meaningful differences in toner quality. I've used refilled cartridges on several occasions, and not had problems.

However, the cartridge -- which usually contains the photosensitive drum, and other components -- is subject to wear and tear. It can't be used "indefinitely".

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

By the way, some months back I had problems with an HP-original cartridge (not a refill) that started streaking and otherwise misbehaving. HP's Website explicitly stated that the cartridge remained under warranty as long as there was toner it. With only a little grumbling, HP replaced the cartridge.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Well, there can still be other OEM's upstream from Dell. E.g., they could be buying a marking engine integrated with some smarts, possibly adding more of their own (or not) and then rebadging it.

As far as sorting out what/whose *toner* to use/buy, I suspect finding the marking engine manufacturer is where the OP wants to be.

(I doubt you could identify a toner manufacturer from a "genuine" cartridge)

Reply to
Don Y