Sony PVW-2600 format question.

I received this Sony PVW-2600 in for repair with the complaints of no video, audio plays too fast. The machine looks like it has hardly been used. The only beta tapes I have were recorded back in the 80's and were recorded in either beta II or beta III format. I tried those tapes and it does play too fast with no video display. Cleaning the stationary control(?) head didn't help. Does this machine have the capability to play back those beta II, III, tapes or should I ask the owner for some sample tapes?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

PVW machines are not beta-MAX they are beta-CAM which is a broadcast standard component recording format. If there was a fault causing those symptoms you would be getting error messages (it is a sophisticated machine), sounds like your customer is trying to play beta max tapes - it's not going to happen.

Vic Thomas

Reply to
Vic Thomas

video,

in

too

didn't

Hi Vic,

I called up Sony (before I found your reply) and they gave me the same exact information as you. I tested the customer's tapes and indeed they were recorded on a Betamax machine.

Thanks for your reply.