CPD-E530 over bright problem

Dear Ladys and Sirs,

I have problem with Sony CPD-E530 monitor - it is too bright, so the black is not pure black - it's over bright. I set the menu of the monitor to color mode "expert" which gave me a "color:expert" option. The brightness for each channel (R,G,B) is set to "0". In "contrast/ bright" menu the bright is also set to "0". So the monitor is still too bright and the black is not black it's over bright green with horizontal lines. In Internet I found some information about the problem, some people say, that I can change one resistence on PCB of the monitor - increase or decrease will fix the brightness, but no one say which is the resistor that I must change, what value has to be the new one or I should use trimer? Is there another solution? I also read about SonyWINDAS which is software way to fix the problem. I try it but doesn't work. I realy want to make own hardware service to the monitor. If any have a solution for the problem, please let me know! Photos will help a lot.

Best regards,

DDD electronic process engineer - pioneer

Reply to
defform

See if the above does not address your problem. If the URL is to long, search Google Groups with the following in the search box: Sony monitor too bright author:Ken

Reply to
Ken

As the CRT aged, it started to draw less current, and thus is loading the electron gun bias supply a little less. For some reason, the bias supply did not properly compensate. It is possible that the bias supply was set a little high at the factory. You can compensate for this a little in most monitors.

It is also possible that the CRT screen grid bias supply drifted a little with age. This could be attributed to failing components internal to it, or in the grid and cathode bias supply for the CRT.

Remove the rear cover, and look for the flyback assembly. This is where the high voltage goes to the anode of the CRT. You should see a black molded type block module that is part of the flyback assembly. On it should be 2 or 3 adjuster pots, depending on the model of the monitor. One of them should be labeled screen, or G2, or CRT Bias.

Turn on the monitor, and put up something on the screen that shows with a black reference. A grey scale would be the best to use. Set the brightness controls for their mid range position. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes for the monitor to settle down to its normal operating temperature. Adjust the Bias pot to have the correct brightness.

Sometimes at the factory, the pot is glued in its position. You will have to force it a little to break the glue seal. You can put a dab of nail polish on the edge of it after you are satisfied with its new position.

When adjusting anything in the monitor, make sure that you do not touch the circuit board with your fingers. Don't use anything metal. If you slip and short something, you will do expensive damage.

In any case, I would be shopping for a new monitor. Considering the age, eventualy your monitor will fail.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE PROOF OF THIS OR YOU JUST HAD TO POST SOMETHING GAY?

Reply to
Lynn

The solution for the problem is "IMAGE RESTORATION". This powerful function can be used only in "PRESET" and "EASY" "COLOR MODE" (in "OPTION" menu of the monitor) (not in "EXPERT" color mode). The "IMAGE RESTORATION" appear in "COLOR:" section of the menu. The function adjust automatically all levels of the monitor.

Thanks to Ken and Jerry G. for the very useful information.

PS: Lynn, read careful before type anything.

Reply to
defform