Countertop Water Dispenser. No Cold water.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong with a Polar water dispenser that dispenses room temperature water instead of cold water? Hot works fine. I can't find any specs on the machine. Thanks Jan

Reply to
Jan

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:28:39 -0400, Jan put finger to keyboard and composed:

Faulty Peltier cooler ???

Is there a fan? Does it spin?

Here is a patent that describes how these devices work:

If there is a US patent number on the label, you can search for it here:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Hi!

Every one of these that I have seen uses a small compressed gas refrigeration system to chill the water. It could have failed. Perhaps it is fused or protected separately from the water heating components. These systems are usually pretty reliable, with common failures including bad electrical contacts (from scorching, burning or arcing that takes place each time the unit cycles or use of cheap parts not made to stand the load), bad compressor start circuitry, bad thermostats or wiring not sufficient to power the compressor. As time goes by, the lubrication in the compressor can become stiff when it shuts down and cools off. This too can keep the system from starting.

Some of these have a thermostat to control how cold the water gets. It would be worth checking to make sure that nobody has turned it down or off.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

The Polar units are suffering from global warming. No known fix.

Reply to
Smitty Two