Convergence solved Hitachi 50dx10b

Snagged a free 2001 50" projection TeeWee Hitachi 50DX10B. It powered up OK.The convergence was way off, mostly blue to the right and up. Gave a surreal 3D effect to text on the screen. Not knowing what I was looking for, I took the front panel off, discovered the screen and focus controls; figgered them out and improved the picture somewhat.. I googled the convergence issue, and lots of blogs on this problem with this set, lots of 'can;t do it/blue won't adjust' stuff. All said I need the factory remote to acess the DCAM and save the ROM setting. I don't have one.. Mine doesn't have 'Magic Focus' button, but does have 'Digital Array' button. Pressing that put an alignment pattern on the screen. Using a One For All Big Easy remote, the 'Shift' button enabled adjustment, using the Vol and Channel buttons. Shift once selected the red, shift again selected the blue crosses for adjustment. The picture is now as good as projection can do. Also swapped out the cheesy 6" speakers for some nice 3 way drivers. Sound is Much better. The set is incredibly dirty inside. Like 1/4" thick all over everything. How to clean? Do the guns need to be cleaned on the surface? What about the inner surface of the screen. Got lucky so far feeling my way around this; don't want to screw it up now. JR HOME PAGE:

JR North

Congratulations so far. I'd clean what I could with a vacuum. Definitely clean all the optical surfaces with a soft cloth and your choice of glass cleaner.

Unless the convergence issue was mechanical, it's likely to return. If it was mechanical (tubes themselves got whacked out of alignment), it should have been fixed mechanically. I expect it's the result of aging components, most likely electrolytic caps or deteriorating semi's; and this will likely continue until something actually dies.

All that not withstanding, since you have a zero-dollar investment in a

50" set, enjoy it while it lasts. If the crts are dirty 'inside' it's likely a growth in the cooling fluid. There are adequate resources on the web to deal with that....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert