Panasonic PT51DX80A convergence touch up

Hi Folks;

Convergence ICs have been changed. They are working but now the R & B vertical lines a are split away at the sides. Nothing else is affected. Geometry is good. It's not off that much and is probably due to slight differences in the HF response of the ICs.

I found out how to get into the service menu but I can't seem to find the convergence. Can someone point me the way here ? I can get into the rest of it, and I don't intend to touch anything there because without a manual, I have no idea what's what. This thing ranks about dead last in user friendliness IMO.

So if someone could tell me the following:

How do I get to the convergence ?, and is it cursor based ? If not, what are the parameters for red and blue H width and linearity ? I'm

extreme sides. There is no other error on the screen. I read somewhere that you use the mute to change from the move to adjust mode which implies that it is cursor based. If it is cursor based, how do I switch colors ? The rest I think I can handle.

Please don't tell me to get the manual, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to wait for one and have a fixed unit in the shop, the cost of the manual is not at issue.

Thanks in advance.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Here Goes: From the Service Manuel [less pictues].

1: Enter Serviceman Mode 2: Press 3 to display GREEN Raster 3: Press 0 [Zero] then SWAP to display test position adjustments 4: Press 5 to show pattern super imposed 5: Ch +-, Vol +- adjust cross hair to centre of pattern 6: Press 5 to exit superimposed pattern mode 7: Press TV/Video button to display data phase adjustment mode 8: Vol +- to make curve smooth and symmetrical {curve in cursor display} 9: Press 7 then SWAP to Store data 10: press 0 [Zero] to go back to Convergence Adjustment Mode 11: Pressing TV/Video Button changes from Point-Line-Easy2-Peri then repeats 12: In Point modes each cross hair location may be adjusted. 13: Press 7 and SWAP to Store Data 14: Press 3 twice to switch to RED Raster 15: Press TV/Video to switch to Line Mode 16: Adjust lines working from centre to outside edges 17: Press TV/Video and select Easy2 Mode 18: Adjust each piont using Ch +- and Vol +- 19: Press TV/Video again to select Point Mode 20: Adjust each point again 21: Press 7 and SWAP to Store Data 22: Press 3 twice toselect BLUE Raster 23: Repeat previous details. 24: When happy with registration press 7 and Swap to Store Data 25: Exit using POWER and SWAP buttons.

Hope this helps, otherwise e-mail me. Art

Convergence ICs have been changed. They are working but now the R & B vertical lines a are split away at the sides. Nothing else is affected. Geometry is good. It's not off that much and is probably due to slight differences in the HF response of the ICs.

I found out how to get into the service menu but I can't seem to find the convergence. Can someone point me the way here ? I can get into the rest of it, and I don't intend to touch anything there because without a manual, I have no idea what's what. This thing ranks about dead last in user friendliness IMO.

So if someone could tell me the following:

How do I get to the convergence ?, and is it cursor based ? If not, what are the parameters for red and blue H width and linearity ? I'm sure these are the only controls I need. It's off about ½" at the extreme sides. There is no other error on the screen. I read somewhere that you use the mute to change from the move to adjust mode which implies that it is cursor based. If it is cursor based, how do I switch colors ? The rest I think I can handle.

Please don't tell me to get the manual, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to wait for one and have a fixed unit in the shop, the cost of the manual is not at issue.

Thanks in advance.

JURB

Reply to
Art

Thanks Art;

I tried searching around the web after I tried your steps, actually Panasonic's steps. FYI they omitted the fact that you press mute to toggle between the move and adjust modes. Still omitted is the exact way to get into the convergence mode. No matter what subcategory I'm in, the number buttons still change the channels. This is of course frustrating.

If you've actually done convergence on one of these, can you tell me just how to get to that crosshatch screen ? If not I might ship the set minus 50 bucks or something and order the manual, then I can do the touchup in the customer's home.

Chalk this up to another thing I don't like about Panasonics.

BTW, I would email you but I'm not getting it off this Google groups thing. Are you still stubby @ that com thing, dot net ?

Thanks again, but I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle here.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Jurb: Check if the second step had been obmitted in previous notations.

1: Enter Serviceman mode 2: Select V1 DAC 3: Press Volume + - to enter Converence Adjustment Mode 4: Press 3 to select GREEN 5: Press 0 [Zero] then SWAP to show positions 6: Press 5 to show crosshatch pattern 7: Channel +- and Volume +- will change cursor postion 8: Press 5 to exit superimposed pattern 9: Press TV/VIDEO to display DATA PHASE ADJ 10: Volume +- to make curve [cursor display] smooth and symetrical 11: Press 7 then SWAP to STORE DATA 12: Press 0 [ZERO} to return to convergence adjustments
Reply to
Art

Yup, step 2 was missing.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

It's fixed, thanks man.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

How did you get into the service mode

--
PTV75230
Reply to

I would strongly suggest getting the documentation. It is not at all easy to figure out nor something that one could describe in a paragraph. You can find the docs on the techdata site.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

What techdata site?