Confused by marking of Power Mosfets

Dear Sirs! I want to repair electronic ballasts. In the same type of ballast (TRILUX) i found a lot of different Mosfets, most from Int.Rectifier: IR822G,824G,826G/C, 831C, 851C, 852 F, 907C, 910C 912C, IRFBE30, IRF 820, IRF 830. Only the three last ones are listed and available. I cannot find datas from the other types. Is it an agreement between the manufactures? Is it possible to replace them with one cheap replacement transistor? In average i have to replace 2 transistors and a safety resistor for every ballast. At a price of 3 to 5 Euro (1 Euro= 1.19 US$) for one transistor it does not pay to repair the devices with defective Mosfets. Excuse my bad English!

Thank You!

Best regards,

Friedrich.

Reply to
Friedrich Schübeck

You can get much better prices if you buy them in quantity, or shop on eBay (carefully).

But the whole idea of repairing ballasts is fraught with hazards-- I don't know the laws in your country, but here if one of your ballasts ever burns up and causes any damage, you're probably personally liable. If you're doing this at your work, I'm pretty sure your company's insurer would frown on this. There's just too much risk (millions of dollars) for the savings (very small, if at all). Even if you value your time at $5 an hour, you're losing money on each one.

Reply to
grg

There's no more liability associated with repairing ballasts than there is repairing any other line operated appliance. Just do the job right and don't substitute or bypass any safety critical parts.

Reply to
James Sweet