Really confused by my debugger.

I recently purchased a clone Microchip PIC debugger from some Chinese importer

(bad idea probably, I know).

I set it all up, it programs perfectly and does a POST fine. The problem is with debugging. I hit the 'program' button on MPLAB, the PIC is programmed fine but I get an 'ICD0083' error (cannot enter the debug mode on the chip).

I've gone through all of the Microchip manuals and the machine translated instruction page from the supplier:

and can't see what's wrong.

I'm using a PIC16F876a with an external oscillator which is running fine. The _DEBUG_ON configuration bit is set and I'm using the example code from the NBGLIN site.

I'm kinda lost for ideas now - for the last few days I've been searching forums and newsgroups for an answer. I would be very greatful for some help.

TIA Brendan Gillatt

GPG: 0x6E265E61

Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

When I have had problems like this, I found that there was a problem with the connections of the debugger or programmer signals, and resultant poor signal quality. You should look at the clock and data lines, and also Vpp, to make sure the logic levels are good and transitions are fast and clean. Sometimes this is due to a component like a capacitor or resistor on those lines, but I also had a problem where there was contamination and leakage on the board.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Thanks - I'll have a look for those. =] Brendan Gillatt

GPG: 0x6E265E61

Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

Mmm, all seems fine there. I'll post to the Piclist later if I don't find what's up. Thanks for the help anyway.

--
Brendan Gillatt
www.brendangillatt.co.uk

As a PIC engineer for around 25 years we always found Microchip dev kit to be the best by far. If they cant get it right then who can? I have heard so many bad tales about non Microchip kit and crappy programmers that dont work with all PIC's.

Reply to
Marra