composite to VGA

just seen this,

never tried sending composite to VGA before, but it would mean making use of lots of old PC monitors! How exactly do these things work? (scan rates etc) B.

Though VGA has the same number of scanning lines as composite (US) video, it's an RGB system. Composite won't work. How do you intend to generate the primaries from the composite?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

What the mother f*ck does this have to do with electronics repair you spamming jerkoff?

Reply to
Paul Feaker

(1) They need to extract RGB from colour composite, (2) They need to scan-convert from ~15KHz (PAL/NTSC) to at least 30KHz for VGA.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Unless it does a full scan conversion, not going to work on any VGA monitor less than perhaps 15 or 20 years old as they don't support scan rates below normal 640x480 VGA at around 31 kHz H rate.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

thanks Sam and Bob. getting RGB from composite and upping the scan rate seems no easy task, which is why I was surprised to see these things so cheap. Presumably they use buffers, processing power etc. A few years ago it would have been pretty much unthinkable I suppose. B

There are single chips nowadays to do scan conversion but you would need to confirm that in fact the $30 device actually does it.

I remember when they took up a 19 inch rack space and cost $10,000!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

I've got two convertors designed to allow a VGA monitor to run a broadcast video signal and neither work particularly well. The newest one about 2 years old and cost quite a bit. I wanted to have one monitor in my workshop that would accept pretty well any signal. In the end I bought a TV with a VGA input and that does work just fine.

--
*Nostalgia isn\'t what is used to be.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the big problems I found with these is they didn't react well to unstable video signals. You may *think* that's uncommon, but it's not

-- the signal from a typical VCR has a lot of sync jitter, for example. This tends to cause LCD monitors to continually black out and attempt to auto-sync.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

I never tried it with a VCR - just FreeView (UK terrestrial digital) And one of my main dislikes was that that computer monitors tend to as you say auto sync to fill the screen - not much use with a mixture of 16:9 and

4:3, as you get here.
--
*I have my own little world - but it\'s OK...they know me here*