Boris Johnson

I just read this morning that he was going to the hospital but was "still w
orking".  Now they say he is in the ICU.  I hope he can get a ventilator if
 he needs one.  What if they run out just before they make that decision?

Now I know what Jared Kushner meant when he said the federal stockpile of v
entilators was "our stockpile", not for the states.  What else is there in
this country but the states?  Oh, yeah, there are 50 states, Washington, D.
C., a few territories and the Trump dynasty.  So the federal stockpile of m
edical equipment is for the Trump dynasty.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Boris Johnson
 working".  Now they say he is in the ICU.  I hope he can get a ventilator
if he needs one.  What if they run out just before they make that decision?

 ventilators was "our stockpile", not for the states.  What else is there i
n this country but the states?  Oh, yeah, there are 50 states, Washington,
D.C., a few territories and the Trump dynasty.  So the federal stockpile of
 medical equipment is for the Trump dynasty.

The ventilator is not a cure. about 40% of the people die, it may be more o
r less for his age range and health status. Being placed in ICU is not a go
od sign. One characteristic of this disease is that the end stage symptoms
come on really fast, as in hours.

Re: Boris Johnson
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote...

 Of those who survive Covid-19 with a ventilator, a significant
 fraction are severely compromised, and take years to recover,
 they say.  Except we don't have years of experience, to be able
 to say that they ever recover.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Boris Johnson

"12 Facts About Pulmonary Fibrosis Prognosis and Life Expectancy"
<https://pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com/2019/08/16/twelve-facts-about-pulmonary-fibrosis-prognosis-and-life-expectancy/
   The average life expectancy of patients with pulmonary
   fibrosis is three to five years after diagnosis.

The problem is that COVID-19 survivors lose some percentage of their
lung capacity.  Any remaining avioli, that continue to function,
attempt to take up the slack, but are easily overloaded.  The result
is:
   Each year as the disease progresses, pulmonary fibrosis
   patients will lose an average of between 150 mL and 200 mL
   of lung capacity...
Lung tidal volume is about 500 mL:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_volume

Re: Boris Johnson

Something has got to kill you in the end.

Re: Boris Johnson

My maternal grandfather, Murdo Nicolson, was badly gassed at St Julien
in April, 2015 (the first gas attack on the Western Front).  He lost
about half of his lung function to fibrosis, spent months in the
hospital,(*) and lived to be 87.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*)where he reconnected with Evelyn Vice, a nurse whom he had known in
Canada and who became his wife--a great story that you can read about in
the official centennial exposition of the Battle of Arras
<https://www.regardsdesoldats.com/86-nicolson ).  After nearly four
years at the front, he had pretty bad PTSD, which complicated their
family life, but they stayed married until his death.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

That's sweet. I hope they were happy.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: Boris Johnson

Don't you mean 1915? It would be a shame to hear that hostilities have broken out AGAIN between the Germans and the French.

Re: Boris Johnson
The average life expectancy of patients with pulmonary
Those darn 2-digit years. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: Boris Johnson
On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 20:23:13 -0400, Phil Hobbs

Once the surface of the lungs is converted to scar tissue it doesn't
recover and go back to functioning as a gas exchanger.  The effect
tends to be permanent and degenerative.  It is possible to live with
only one lung, or as in your grandfathers case, 50% total lung
capacity.  What makes COVID-19 different is that it often affects the
entire surface of the lung, not just sections.  Chances of recovery
from such an overwhelming loss of lung function is unlikely.  Why
COVID-19 barely effects some people, while killing others, is still
not known.

I'm glad he survived or we would not be having this conversation.

Re: Boris Johnson

Small surveys of recovered patients from Hong Kong have revealed a bunch of
 problems. This is the really bad one, you'll be visiting a pulmonologist f
or the rest of your life:

Suspected pulmonary fibrosis

Further investigations of the recovered COVID-19 patients must now be condu
cted to show whether they have developed pulmonary fibrosis ? scarr
ing in the lungs. Over time, the scar tissue can destroy the normal lung an
d make it hard for oxygen to get into the blood. Low oxygen levels (and the
 stiff scar tissue itself) can cause shortness of breath, particularly duri
ng physical exertion.

 Lung fibrosis cannot be cured because the scarred changes in the lung tiss
ue do not regress. But the progression of pulmonary fibrosis can be delayed
 and sometimes even stopped if detected in time.

And...
Now researchers in Hong Kong have said that recovered coronavirus patients
can be left with damaged lungs.

A small study of 12 patients discharged from hospital showed that two or th
ree had reduced lung function. However, it is too early to confirm any long
-term effects.

"In some patients, lung function could decline by about 20 to 30% after rec
overy," says Dr. Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the Infectious Dis
eases Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Hong Kong.

Computer tomography have shown fluid- or debris-filled sacs in the lungs, w
hich may get progressively worse as the illness develops.

The findings from Hong Kong confirm very early investigations from Wuhan in
 early February 2020. In a recent study, scientists from Zhongnam Hospital
of Wuhan University analyzed 140 lung scans of COVID-19 patients and found
a ground glass opacity in both lungs of each patient. { which is usually an
 indication of that alveolar pneumonia]

They're also observing organ damage in some patients, the heart and liver.
The liver can recover but the heart can't.

Re: Boris Johnson
 working".  Now they say he is in the ICU.  I hope he can get a ventilator
if he needs one.  What if they run out just before they make that decision?

 ventilators was "our stockpile", not for the states.  What else is there i
n this country but the states?  Oh, yeah, there are 50 states, Washington,
D.C., a few territories and the Trump dynasty.  So the federal stockpile of
 medical equipment is for the Trump dynasty.

He did say "our" but he NEVER said "not the states." "Our" refers to the Un
ited States of America, not an individual or even a governor's. Just more l
ibtard Trump bashing.

Re: Boris Johnson
ll working".  Now they say he is in the ICU.  I hope he can get a ventilato
r if he needs one.  What if they run out just before they make that decisio
n?
of ventilators was "our stockpile", not for the states.  What else is there
 in this country but the states?  Oh, yeah, there are 50 states, Washington
, D.C., a few territories and the Trump dynasty.  So the federal stockpile
of medical equipment is for the Trump dynasty.
United States of America, not an individual or even a governor's. Just more
 libtard Trump bashing.

Have you ever looked up an item yourself rather than requiring everyone els
e to do your work.  At the moment it's hard to visit a web page without fin
ding a reference to Jared Kushner making a fool of himself with this quote.
..

"The notion of the federal stockpile is that it's supposed to be our stockp
ile. It's not supposed to be states' stockpiles that they then use."

That couldn't be any more clear.  It was in response to data showing reques
ts from the states to release material from the stockpile to the states was
 reasonable based on the need.  Sounds lot like a "NO" to me.

I know this won't make any difference to you.  You will still work hard to
spin it to suit your tastes.  But I like making you work.  I expect you can
 use the exercise.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Boris Johnson
On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 04:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell

3M's bulk capacity to produce medical paper products
is in China. These Chinese plants were recently caught
redirecting shipments for their European customers to
the States. What do you call that?

I don't know where they get THAT pulp from - I expect
that they couldn't care less.

RL

Re: Boris Johnson

   When did China stop seizing the entire production for their own use? 3M
can only ship Chinese made products to where China grants the permits. That
's the problem with globalization. you are at the mercy of the local thugge
ry and their on the fly decisions. I'd like to see you force the Chinese go
vernment to release what you've ordered when they have seized it, and paid
the OEM their wholesale price.

   China buys boatloads of used Corrugated Paper Boxes to recycle. I bought
 a small air compressor a couple years ago. They had glued a new layer on t
op of pieces cut from larger boxes, rather than make new corrugated paper.

   The used paper gets shipped there on empty cargo ships returning from de
liveries around the world.

Re: Boris Johnson
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 09:10:00 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell

The Chinese never had the requirements displayed by the US.
As a nation, it's per-capita requirement for PPE was never
more than 1/20 that of the present US demand.

China exports anywhere that their products are accepted.

It was 3M doing the 'redirecting' of PPE shipments.

RL

Re: Boris Johnson
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 09:10:00 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell

<snip>
You can't make PPE from recycled cardboard, or newspaper.
Cardboard and newspaper is largely ground-wood (think
construction paper, from Kindergarden)and binder.

Filtering PPE draws heavily on virgin 'sulphite' bales.
Requires heavy chemical processing and post processing
for fibre length and 'wet-strength'.

RL

Re: Boris Johnson

Absolute filters are often made by dissolving polyethersulphone or
polyphenyleneethersulphone in an organic solvent such as NMP and adding
water, which makes it into a very uniform foam that can be cast into all
sorts of shapes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

There's an article in today's paper about making masks. One cuts up
old t-shirts. My favorite is made from a bandana and a coffee filter.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: Boris Johnson

I got a couple of N99s plus refills back at the end of February.

They survive being sprayed with diluted bleach just fine.  I gave one of
them to our world traveller, in case she hadn't had Wu 'flu yet.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs