Duophone TAD-114 Remote Control

First, an unrelated question: How come phone answering machines no longer beep every 10 seconds. For the last 25 years or more? Was the law changed and nobody told me?

Second: I just got at a rummage sale a Duo-Phone machine TAD-114, and it is labeled "Remote Control". What could they mean by Remote Control? AFAICT, one has to touch the machine to make it do anything (except if one calls in and leaves a message).

It's full label is "DuoFone TAD-114 Voice Actuated * Two Way Record Dual Cassette Remote Control Telephone Answering System"

This device was made in 1983, when remote message retrieval with a beeper existed, and when beeperless remote was just about to start, or had just started.

But this machine has a knob one turns to go from off to playback to rewind to answer to announce only to record announcment. Though some of these obviously change electrical connections, the knob also changes physical things related to the cassette mechanism. It couldn't possibly play back messages remotely, afaict. And the mini-manual glued inside the cover says nothing about "remote".

(DuoPhone is the Radio Shack brand for this kind of thing.)

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

Hi...

Can't speak for the radio shack model, but I have and still use a panasonic of about the same vintage... so for what it's worth...

It has a remote control, several buttons on it to operate several functions. I simply leave it in the answer mode. I call in, when it answers *during* the outgoing message I hold the remote to the phone and press the playback/reset button. It automagically plays me any messages it's taken.

I suspect if you can find a matching remote for your machine it will do much the same.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I used to have an old Panasonic machine. It didn't require a remote, but would use the keys on any tone phone.

BTW, there was a '3' sticker on the back, next to a 3-position slide switch labeled "3-5-7". That meant the code for remote operation could be set to 33, 35, or 37. There might be a built-in help system, but probably not on a machine that old.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Reply to
Rob Mills

Just remembered, my son had a RS/Duophone back in the early 80's that had a remote that looked like a garage door opener. You would hold it to the mouth piece after the beep and push the button and it would produce a tone that would trigger the playback. RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

I have a TAD-260 from that era. It can be programmed to phone (dial out) another number after taking a message and from that other phone (cellphone etc), and once answered, you can input a security code (3 digits) and retreive the messages. It is a fine machine and is still working. Last year I had top replace the rubber drive belt that finally broke, and last week I got around to replacing the color burst (3.58 MHz) crystal for the internal DTMF decoder that makes the remote features work. My wife keeps bugging me to get a new digital unit, but none I find so far has the dial out feature. The new digital ones all have terrible interfaces.

I suspect your TAD-114 has a feature that allows you to call it remotely and retreive messages using DTMF.

Mine has a "beep" function, but I don't use it. I suppose the new units won't let you turn the record feature on independently of answering the line. Mine will allow me to do this and I suppose the beep function is to provide that legal protection.

These were made for Radio Shack by the major answer>First, an unrelated question: How come phone answering machines no

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

The thing is that TAD-260 has a quite-a-bit higher number than TAD-114. So it is newer and might be fancier.

I looked again at the machine and it works such that when put on Answer Phone, the rubber capstan wheel is firmly against the capstan. When it is on Rewind, they are apart (and the record and erase heads are away from the tape, but that part might not matter).

How is going to rewind remotely if the capstan wheel is pressed against the capstan.

Aren't all those who replied to my qustion talking about machines that use push button electric switches and servos to change from one mode to another? Not a knob attached to a mechanism.

So far, as hard as it is to believe, since this was a popular model, I can't help thinking it was mislabeled!

I haven't fully tested this one, but so far it seems to work fine.

mm

Reply to
mm

I bought a machine like that last night at the BARC minifest in Baltimore. 3 dollars, made in 1990. PhoneMate, Named ADAM, All Digital Answering Machine. :) A couple big problems: 1) Will only hold 5 minutes of messages, minus the time you use for your outgoing message and message transfer message. 2) This model forgets everything** including your incoming messages if unplugged and the batteries are dead. But I bought it anyhow because it was so cool.

This was the suggested message transfer message: "Hi, this is Bill Johnson's phone machine. Could you call him to the phone, please. I have a message for him. Thank you." Straight out of "Hidden Planet".

I also bought another machine, that turned out to have that feature, off of EBay, for 10 dollars plus 8.50 shipping. That was a lot for a machine that turned out not to work, but it was Code-a-Phone so I was willing to take a chance. It was called a "Commercial" machine, model

7550, so it had a couple extra features, but even though it lights up etc. I'm having trouble with a lot of them, including just playing the tape. **On the other hand, I have a much newer all digital SONY, that has been unplugged for 2 years or more, and doesn't seem to have batteries, and it still had all 7 messages that the previous owner got, in original condition. Because SONY is still in business, I was able to dl the owners manual, but it is 44 pages and I haven't read yet how many minutes of message it can hold. (What I really want is a dual microcassette tape machine, but this is turning into a hobby.)

I agree with you.

It seems a lot like the VCRs. They used to make some very fancy machines with many many features, but those disappeared and the last 5 or 10 years they've been making cheap machines with the popular features, like slow motion, but only the popular features.

[...]

One useful feature those old ones lacked was a timestamp. It helps to know WHEN a message was left.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why > (snip)

(snip)

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing messages.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

(THIS MESSAGE REPLY IN Double Side Band (DSB), TO PLACATE BP OBSESSED KOOKS)

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Now, if you have caller ID it could set the clock from that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Thats the implication I guess. They suck you into buying a cheap POS answering machine and when you complain about it acting up, ATT tells you to sign up for the caller ID feature at an additional monthly cost. They win, the consumer loses.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I would have liked the time stamp at one time, before there was remote, but when I got a remote, I called in for my messages once a day or often enough that I knew approximately when they called. In my case, I don't have much need to know exactly when someone calls, except to call him a liar if he says he called early but the time stamp is later.

Reply to
mm

My old, old PhoneMate 7950 has dual cassette, remote pickup with a 3-digit code you specify, and spoken date and time appended to messages. It has functioned perfectly for umpty years with no more maintenance than cleaning the capstans and replacing the tapes (precautionary). If anyone makes an offer, start at mid-five-figures, 'cause this un's a keeper.

--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.