Cisco 3750G switch, fans not working

Hi, I have one of these on my workbench and both the fans aren't working, the switch itself is fine. On inspection it appears that an SMD component has come off the motherboard, Z1. Whether this was due to bad soldering or if it's been knocked I can't tell. There doesn't appear to be any signs of physical damage or heat. Tracing the circuit shows that the power to the fans was delivered by this component and I would suspect it was a zener. Without the original I wouldn't have a clue what the value was and these days it's highly unlikely to be marked anyway! I'm unable to find any servicing info on these boxes so in desperation I'm hoping somone might have one they could look inside. The only other 3750's we have are single fan units and the power arrangement is different. I've also left a note on the Cisco site but so far not received any replies.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
bob

If all else fails look for another power source. The fans should be marked per what they require. Probably 12 volts # .3 amps? Even an external wall supply wired into the switch to provide fan voltage isn't too bad an idea.

Meat Plow

How many volts are the fans? How many volts does the power supply deliver? Same? Connect fans directly to powersupply... Different: adaptive circuit to change voltage (regulator for example).

My bet is that they are the same...

Reply to
PeterD

Consider the possibility that the missing components was a chip fuse or a fuse resistor. If one fan faulted, a fuse resistor could heat enough to melt the solder, but it is unlikely it would drop off the board until the solder lost all it's surface tension properties. Likewise with a Zener. Has someone been in there before you? If not the part may still ba floating around or stuck onto the board nearby. I agree with others that the supply voltage and fan voltages are likely the same.

Neil S.

Reply to
nesesu

If it's in series with the fans, and they're 12V fans, you can reverse- engineer the component value. Usually, there WOULD NOT be a Zener in series, because Zeners fail (typically) in short circuit; it'd more likely be a limit resistor, or maybe even a thermal-sensing resistor with a negative temperature coefficient.

I'd expect "ZD" or "CR" markings for a Zener diode.

I'd also expect the component to be rattling around inside the case somewhere (get a hand lens and do the Sherlock thing...).

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks for the replies guys, some good info there. I didn't consider it might just be a fuse, but the low value sensing resistor makes a lot of sense as that would enable the management software to do its thing too. The original part is nowhere to be seen so I might wait just a little longer in case anyone comes up with the exact part otherwise its poke and hope with some low value resistors.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
midibob