Capacitor operating characteristics question

I have a Tantalum capacitor that needs to be replaced - 560pf/2Kv. I have found a ceramic cap with the same values. Can I replace with the ceramic, and what are the differences other than material of construction? Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Golf

A 2Kv Tantlum capacitor? Wow! Are you sure?

I would think that the ceramic capacitor would be a good choice for replacement. Just make really sure that you replace with equal or higher voltage rating. The materials of construction in capacitors of similar ratings affect the following factors:

- Capacitor size

- Temperature stability

- Tolerance of capacitance

- Susceptability failure under over voltage transients

- Ageing characteristics

-- mkaras

Reply to
mkaras

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:31:49 -0700, mkaras Has Frothed:

Looks like a tuning cap in the HO circuit of Zenith, Philips etc.. I would stick with the same composition.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

It's not tantalum. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Thanks Sam. It looks like one, and it is in the Horiz. of a Zenith. I simply can't locate the replacement, so was looking to sub. Do you know what type Cap this is? Thanks again to all.

Reply to
Golf

It very oviously isn't though !

It'll almost certainly be ceramic or plastic film.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Almost certainly not a tantalum with a 2KV rating. They just don't go up that high or down that low capacity wise. Tantalum caps are electrolytic types, and polarized (never have seen a tantalum that wasn't polar)..

I could believe it is ceramic - that's in the range of capacity and voltage that makes it believable

default