Orange capacitor?

Hi,

In a HP device I have 2 orange capacitors from which one is short-circuited. The other one looks the same and is 680 nF. I know that the voltage it will get is 28 volts.

My question: Does anyone know what kind of capacitor this can be? Ceramic, mkt? It is a SMD capacitor, size looks like 1206, maybe a little smaller. It is rather thin. The color is orange. There is not text or marking on the capacitor.

Any info is welcome.

Regards, P.

Reply to
P.

How about giving US some info, like what kind of 'device'? Does it have a model number. Most HP test equipment manuals are available for free on their Agilent website. If it is a cheap consumer computer product, there is lille chance of identifying the part. Just because it looks like another part is no guarantee it is the same.

The original 'orange' capacitors were epoxy dipped mylar by Sprague. That, and a 2 in a small circle were their tradmarks.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:AL- dnWZjW7pS3cvUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's what I thought, but he said SMD at 1206 size. Did they make them that small? The only orange (orangish) capacitors I know of that small in SMT are ceramic types, like one shown here:

The value is in range for that type. A larger value in that range might also tend to fail as a short. (Would have to be dramatic for it to fail open, it probably wouldn't still be there..)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

No. Vishay bought Sprague before they were big in SMD. The orange color was used to make a positive ID, and the 2 in a circle logo was from their RMA/EIA listing. Both were important trademarks in the US. CDE used a deep brown, and Mallory used a pale blue so their products could be identified on sight.

To my bad eyes, those look reddish brown.

The part he says is shorted may be across something else that is shorted, or an inductor. If it is on a 'ROHS' board, it may be tin whiskers under the part. In the grade we used in our products, we rarely saw a shorted ceramic SMD cap that wasn't physically damaged. I found more shorted internal layers than shorted SMD ceramic caps.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi,

I already found it. It had a small pin on one side that could not be seen as it was inside the soldering. So it is a tantalum with the pin at the + side. I measured the other one better, it was 720 nF. Maybe

35 Volts? It is decoupling capacitor for the 28 (24) volts power supply voltage of a HP HF attenuator. Decouples the small PCB of the actual attenuator.

I will use a modern 1 uF /50V ceramic cap here, with DC Bias at 28 Volts it will probably still be 720 uF.

P.

Reply to
P.

that should be 720 nF

P.

Reply to
P.

P. a écrit :

If one pad is longer than the other (a wire is coming out horizontaly), it's a tantalum capacitor (Vishay brand)

Claude

Reply to
Rufus Larondelle

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:05:54 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I haven't seen any shorted SMD ceramic caps, but in the 80s I saw many shorted low voltage disc ceramics in American made equipment.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sorry, I don't do mind reading or remote viewing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You don't have the required brainpower, with your pitiful 154 IQ.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've seen SMD caps short, but this was due to board flexing. The PCB was too thin for this particular application. Boards were manufactured as a pallet of 40 pcs. with breakaway drill holes, and when they were broken apart there was excessive flexing. For some reason this caused a high failure rate in the caps, many of which did not fail until they were deployed in the field.

Reply to
JW