Can the CD-ROM laser dim and not be able to read my CDs?

I recorded some data CDs 3 years ago, using Philips Multi Purpose CDR-74 (650 MB). At the same time, I also made some other data CDs, using Verbatim CDs. I used the same CD recorder (Sony CRX 1611, love it), which I'm still using (still love it).

I have tested 3 of the Philips CDs recently, and all 3 had errors. I did the test making a Nero CD-copy; Nero informs you of any unreadable sector after cancelling the operation. On one CD I ran the test twice and the bad sector that cancelled the operation was different than the first one. This to me indicates not a scratched CD but rather a poor CD-ROM reader.

It's somewhat againt the odd for all 3 CDs going bad, and temperature and humidity have been normal these 3 years, no sunlight, hardly any handling, I'm very careful regardless, and they're not written on.

And the 2 Verbatim CDs from the same time ran the test perfectly, and they were stored together with the Philips, which to me suggests problems reading a certain type of CD; again, a CD-ROM problem, not a problem with the CDs.

Could the reading laser on my CD-ROM (Sony CRX 1611) have dimmed, and it can't read the lower quality stuff anymore? And if so, am I generating lower quality CDs by continuing to use my trusty old Sony to record CDs?

Reply to
easytoremember123

Your Phillips discs have gone bad, which they are well-known to do. Phillips uses CDR's from the cheapest known sources, and they burn very poorly in many drives. Rescue as much data as you can from them before they go completely bad. A new $25 drive may well be able to read them better than the old Sony, but the discs are certainly dying.

Your Sony is no longer appropriate for newer high speed media, which is designed for burning in high speed drives.

Reply to
Dan G

Hi I'd try them in another CD-ROM first Chas

Reply to
Chas

|>Could the reading laser on my CD-ROM (Sony CRX 1611) have dimmed, and |>it can't read the lower quality stuff anymore? And if so, am I |>generating lower quality CDs by continuing to use my trusty old Sony to |>record CDs?

Yes, and funny you should mention Sony

the link tells you how to adjust the lens voltage for a PS2.

The link is just to show that yes they can dim, and that there is a way to increase it.

--
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1450606.htm
Reply to

Note that if you do increase it and the laser was NOT the problem, you could possibly ruin it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser