LCD monitor burn in

I saw something this week that I though was impossible. It's an LCD computer monitor with burn in. It's a 17" Apple LCD that has a very definite after image of the apple menu bar across the top. It's only visible on a black background and shows up as a positive image. You can read the names of some of the menu items and clearly see the apple logo. The monitor has been sitting unused for at least a few months before I repaired the back light inverter. I have never had it connected to a mac, so I know it's not a short term ghost image that will fade away after a few hours. I've had the monitor running off and on for more than 24 hours total with no noticeable change in the burn in. Has anyone else seen this? Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Seen it lots of times on multiple makes and models of lcd monitors.

Reply to
dkuhajda

What causes it? I've seen it once too but I also thought it impossible. Is it fading of the color filters?

Reply to
James Sweet

I've only read about this before, not seen it, but it was said it is possible to get rid of, by leaving the lcd on with a negative of the image displayed. Try googling!

HTH Chris D.

Reply to
Chris

The guy on Shop NBC that sells LCD TVs constantly says in every show that LCD TVs cannot suffer from burn in. You calling him a liar?... ;-)

Reply to
Not a Steven fan

Technically it is not 'burn in' like a crt. But it is a permanent image that becomes visible forever on the screen. So technically it is not calling a sales person a liar.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Similarly, I've only heard about using a bright white image for a CRT.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Liquid crystals, need to be relaxed; that's why there is an evenly timed +- ac driving frequency (not image refresh whicih is separate) for TFTs. And related, being organic, why they eventually "tire" out, are slow when cold, and are generally slow responding so smear etc..

Reply to
H. Dziardziel