Buffing Scratches Off A CRT Glass.

OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application, and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

If the scratches are not too deep, you can polish them out by a sequence of grindings with successively finer grits. This is long and tedious, but is the technique used for preparing surfaces for metallographic examination -- which is also used for preparing glasses and ceramics for microscopic exam at times.

Alternatively, one could attempt to fill in the scratchs with something with the same dielectric constant vs. frequency (i.e., same index of refraction vs. wavelength). Water-glass comes to mind (sodium silicate solution in water) as a possibility.

I would try the water-glass first. If it is not good enough, it can be removed with water-based solvents. If it is good enough you can seal it with a clear coat of your choice.

For a CRT I would NOT recommend flame-polishing, which otherwise would be my first choice for descratching glass.

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

Tim, My experience and observations tell me that you will only make the scratches in your CRT more obvious and worse by trying to buff them out. Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

- - - - - -

Reply to
Sofie

You could try that eyeglass scratch remover although I've heard it's not as good as the TV ads say (big surprise).

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Tim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.aliant.net:

I think I would use an optical epoxy to fill in the scratch,not try to polish it out.Scratches are kinda dangerous in CRTs as they provide a start for cracks,like you would do for "cutting" glass;scribing it.

Say,have you seen those TV ads (USA) for the product to fill in scratches on eyeglasses? WalMart carries it,in their pharmacy section where the eyedrops are located.AND,it sells for less than what the TV source sells it! "As seen on TV"....

It might be worth a try.

$15 USD,IIRC Opti-Clear is the name,or something similar.

It is also carried by Walgreens,I believe.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes I have been looking at that kind of stuff since reading the reply that suggested water glass. I am also shopping around for a windshield repair kit, which is kinda the same technology.

I think that kind of fix would be much better and safer than polishing or buffing.

Thanks to all whom replied to my question. I'll post the results when I make the repair.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

On May 16, 1:08 pm, Tim wrote: > OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the > glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would > not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application, > and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from. >

What about that stuff they use to repair cracked windshields? Or is that no longer available either?

GG

Reply to
stratus46

I had one with two 'digs' in the safety glass. We used a windshield repair kit on it with reasonable results.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I have had good luck in the past , using my Dremel motor tool a cloth wheel & jewelers polish that came with a older motor took kit. Good luck C Grob

Reply to
radiotech

Unless it's non-AR-coated polished glass, this sort of approach will likely make it worse.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I bought a tube of the stuff. Applied it as directed and it did an extremely lousy job.

I think it's $4 a gallon acrylic floor wax put into fancy bottles. .

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Ancient_Hacker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z24g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

The TV ads show a BOTTLE of the stuff,not a tube.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik