Scratches in perspex ( Plexiglas , Lucite in USA)

Sorry to butt in, but where did you buy waterglass from? I`ve been trying for ages to purchase some to treat a particularly nasty effluorescent sandstone wall.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Anyone know of material/technique to "tone" down the visual impact of such scratches. ? Smoked finish to compound the problem in the present case.

I've found a solution of waterglass (sodium silicate ?) washed into scratches in glass, part evaporated, then cut back with a damp cloth, in a polishing action, is useful for glass.

N Cook

such

I just asked at my local high street dipensing chemist. As he decanted it from a large container I assume there must be some major medical use for it.

N Cook

such

I will deliberately scratch a bit of scrap perspex and have a go at that.

N Cook

Apparently, the best way to remove scratches on cd`s is by polishing with the inside of a banana skin. sounds daft, but it`s sposed to work miracles.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I've also found that a light going over with a 'wadding' type metal polish such as Duraglit or Brasso wadding, does a very good job of restoring CDs / DVDs. I assume that it 'fills' the scratches with an oil, that happens to have just about the same refractive index as the plastic that the disc is made from. No rubbing effort required, and the scratches just disappear in front of your eyes, as you buff up the 'haze' that the metal polish initially leaves as it dries.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I seem to remember toothpaste was used by motorcyclists to polish perspex screens. Supposed to work quite well.

Reply to
gonzo

I have used it in past years to polish scratches on automobile finishes. Just be sure to get a mild abrasive toothpaste, some of the more aggeressive ones will dull the finish, You could also try automotive polishing compound, not rubbing compound as that is a coarser material.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

I use a product called Novus plastic polish. It comes in 3 grades, works like a charm. I've managed to polish out some fairly deep scratches though it took a lot of elbow grease.

Reply to
James Sweet

The easiest way I know is to use the flame, applied lightly, from a butane torrch. As usual, practice first on a piece of scrap plastic. It works well for plexiglas, but I recall that it does not work well on some other plastics such as styrene or lexan.

Reply to
jfeng

Reminds me of the CD gizmo that spins them while heating the surface.

I will stay with the olive oil for now - it reduces the intrusiveness without any chance of irrecoverable crazing, flatness distortion or anything else.

N Cook

Seconded. And it's not horribly expensive.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

looks as though the equivalent for sale in the UK is Xerapol

N Cook

Try Eastwood.com, look for headlight polish and scratch removing tools. Good company.

Reply to
PeterD

Nigel,

I'll agree on the Novus polishes. I've found them at auto parts stores for polishing the plastic rear windows of convertible tops on car that have them, and it works quite well. I've used it on turntable dust covers as well.

I'm sure there are lots of other brands too. The guys on the U.S. radio program "Car Talk" usually suggest trying a brand with the word "MIRACLE" on the label when looking for chemicals at an auto parts store.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Solvol Autosol works well. I even polish out scratches on my watch "glass" with it. Also did a really badly fogged Sony turntable cover where someone had sprayed it with hairspray or something. Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Bennett

Tim Schwartz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

"if it works,it's a MIRACLE". 8-)