Bose® CineMate® GS Series II

I bought a Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System today at a yard sale. I got it for half price when the lady admitted it didn't seem to work. I paid $2.50. I see it is $799 new and working, so I'd like to make this one work. I have searched for a schematic but I haven't had any luck. Anyone have access to a service manual or have any experience on common problems? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

"amdx"

** Have you looked at the PCB/s yet ?

Made in China, all SMD, class D amplifiers and a SMPS to boot - I bet

** Bose have long been secretive about who gets to see their service data - but if the unit is built the way I suspect, then there simply is no service data.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have disassembled and visually inspected for any poor connections or solder joints. I tested continuity of the fuses and power transformer. No sign of a problem. It looks like it has 3 what I suspect are class D amplifier chips, I can't read the numbers, I think they are mounted with the number down and heat sinking up, to fit the larger finned heat sink. I'm not sure yet about the power supply, it has an FQPF27P06 FET near the 5 large surface mount diodes and 1 large filter cap.

It has a thermistor mounted on the heatsink that measures 2.5 ohms, that seems low but, I'm a fish monger. Mikek

PS. Yes, service data probably will be difficult to find, It says assembled in Mexico. If Bose will repair it for less than $100, it won't be a terrible deal. If I can fix it for less, it will be a better deal.

Reply to
amdx

** Have you read the owner's manual ??

You do have the remote - don't you ?

You have made sure that unit works - right ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I found an owners manual online, I do have the remote. I have made sure the unit doesn't work. When the unit is plugged in the green LED blinks one time and the red LED comes on, That's all.

From the manual,

"> When you connect the CineMate®

None of that happens.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

In the UK, Bose offer a fixed fee to repair any piece of Bose equipment, including pickup and redelivery by courier. The equipment is then guaranteed against further faults for I think the initial guarantee on the new unit, but I am not sure, and that may not be the case outside the UK.

It would not be worth paying that fee for a home hi-fi amp, but for some of the more expensive gear it might well be, so I'd contact them if I were you to find out what the deal is in your neck of the woods. Especially, as has been stated here, you are highly unlikely to be able to repair it yourself.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I did that today. I called Bose service and explained the symptoms. We went through a short troubleshooting routine and at the end gave me three options.

1) Order interface unit and install, if this doesn't solve the problem they will refund the payment. $56.00 includes shipping. (this is a common repair) 2) Send complete unit into Bose and they will repair and guarantee. $90.00 includes shipping. 3) Upgrade and get $399.00 trade in price of new system.

The interface is on order.

I find this quite reasonable. Might make a good Christmas present for one of my kids. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Although I am not much of a fan of Bose equipment, my one experience of sending them an L1 base unit for repair was a good one, and they actually were really keen to give their customers good service.

As it turned out, they said they could not find a fault (there was one, because the bass amp was not working, and I swapped the two amp modules around to confirm that the fault then went to the other side). They returned the unit with no charge.

Haven't heard back from the customer, so I guess it is still working.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Oops, I forgot to mention that Bose said they replaced the "faulty" bass amp module anyway.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I ended up shipping the unit to Bose. They have a flat repair fee of $75.00 plus I had to pay about $25.00 shipping. I shipped it on a Tuesday and got it back the next Tuesday. I have about $100.00 into the unit, more than I planned but, ok. Bose is very responsive to their customers needs. Mikek Mikek

Reply to
amdx