Early Sony Beta-era schematic needed

I recently picked up a Sony AC-220, which is just a line powered power supply to power an old portable Sony Beta camera and recorder. If you remember these, you probably also remember that the AC-220 would also charge the big NP-1 NiCad battery packs that those portables used.

Well, this AC-220 has some problems and I need a schematic if I'm going to have any chance of fixing figuring this out.

Any of you old VCR repair guys got a schematic you could scan for me, please?

thanks,

-

Jim Adney

Hi Jim...

Darn, one whole power supply just sold for 10 dollars in your money on ebay :(

The good news is that the ad will remain for at least a few more days. Perhaps if you were to mail the winning bidder he might be willing to scan the schematic for you? Or perhaps he's into this stuff and might have help/advice for you? :)

Just a thought.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Best message board on the web to discuss everything Beta is:

Steve P.

There's a good chance that was me. ;-)

Or did you mean someone sold one along with the service manual?

I'd be willing to buy a service manual if someone out there had one.

-

Jim Adney

Hi...

If someone out here had a zip of 4 gif's that can be pasted together to produce the schematic of the power supply/timer section would that be OK? :)

Not _certain_ that it's precisely the one you want, but even if not it's probably better than nothing, eh?

Lemme know if you can take about 350k (before mime)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

That would be terrific! I've gone ahead and sent you a separate email thanking you and giving you a better address to send a large file like that to.

thanks!

-

Jim Adney

Ken,

I got the file you sent, but I haven't had time to print it out and look at it closely. At first glance, however, it does not appear to the schematic for the AC-220. It just has a power input board labeled "AC-2."

I can't tell what this is for, but that's not Japanese; I think it's Arabic. I can read a TINY bit of Japanese, enough to be sure this is not Japanese, but not a bit of arabic, so I'm not so sure of what it actually is.

Where did you come across this?

Thanks for offering to send it.

-

Jim Adney

Hi Jim...

Glad you got it; sorry it's not of as much help as we'd hoped. Had my fingers crossed that the ac-2 would be at least related to ac-220 :)

I dunno what language those characters are... it's all Greek to me :)

Years ago I used to run a BBS, if you're old enough to know what that was... a huge one. (wrote shareware) Had over 3 million files available for download in its heyday, including an enormous collection of schematics and other service related stuff.

Board is long since down, but I still have all of it, capable of running (winserver), and all the hundreds of CD's, so I simply started it up and searched file descriptions for sony + vcr and came up with this one.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I got the pages pasted together with PhotoShop today and printed it out on our plotter at work. Now all I have to do is find our local native Arabic speaker. He was out of his office every time I tried to find him today, but I'm pretty sure this is Arabic. It will be interesting to see if it tells us what this is actually for.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Oh, yes, I remember, and sometimes regret, the demise of BBS. I guess that I have to admit that Newsgroups are even better, however, because the audience is larger. Well, USUALLY that's a good thing. ;-)

Wow, that certainly sounds like it might have required a lot of effort. Did you have to run thru lots of CDs, or do you have an index that is more readily accessible?

At any rate, I'm still looking for a schematic for a Sony AC-220.

Thanks very much for all your efforts, Ken.

-

Jim Adney