Black mica?

Anyone ever seen this before? Basically clear mica but with black smokey looking intrusions, something geological in the way of tar/bitumen leeching into the cleaving planes?

Reply to
N_Cook

Intrusions or *inclusions* do you mean?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm no geologist, not erratics anyway. Randomly distributed swirls like colours in marble, but smokey black colour

Reply to
N_Cook

Sure; Amelia County, VA has some old mica mines, the native stuff is near black (but that's 0.3 inch thick, and it's prepared by cleaving down to 0.003" thickness).

Reply to
whit3rd

So it's just availability? There's no special quality of black mica over the regular stuff?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

....Just paint it black !

Reply to
Look165

I don't suppose you happen to know whether the insulation property is just the same? I'm thinking whether the black material may absorb water vapour

Reply to
N_Cook

Pretty much all questions answered right here:

Ontario seems to be one source of "Dark Mica".

Some types do absorb moisture, but, it is not as if they would be used for insulators.

The original "Glitter".

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw