Black inks

I don't know where else to post this question and just thought someone in this CAD group can be of help.

I have some HP printers (D5460), that I would like to start buying some bulk ink for.

Ran across a couple of suppliers, "Fillserv" and "Durafirm" but they make no mention in there ink kits for the D5460 of 2 separate black inks. They supply just 1 black along with the 3 colors.

The D5460 however uses both a black (larger cartridge) and a "photo black" (smaller).

What is the deal with this? I'm wondering if using the same black in both will suffice.

Of course I've put in an inquiry with them but they just want to sell me ink -- so I think I already know their answer.

I need to do this right -- I have 5 of these printers. Thanks so much if anyone knows.

Reply to
mkr5000

I'm guessing but it may be that the pigmented black has a suspension of solids (very fine, of course) whereas the photo black uses a dye, so that it can mix with the other ink colors when it's in "photo" mode.

shows that they carry both types for this printer. I've used them before for refill kits and larger-than-stock ink cartridges (which are easier to refill than the stock) for a Brother all-in-one. They work great and I'll buy from them again when this batch runs out.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Hey Rich thanks. At least they show both blacks.

Have you used their bulk ink? (especially in an HP?) Good as OEM?

I believe I've heard about them before -- I use "media street" for my epson but no HP stuff there.

If you have used their bulk, is there a manufacturer name on it?

I wonder about these Fillserv and Durafirm as well if anyone knows. Leery though because they're supposed to work in "any" printer which sounds pretty far fetched to me.

I'll give the fillingstation stuff a try.

Reply to
mkr5000

Using it currently in a Brother MFC some model or other. Good enough for me, but I usually use it for mostly line art (diagrams, etc.). No info on how well it works in photo mode on glossy paper with the replacement ink, for example; haven't tried that.

Reasonably sure that it's a "PPB" (plain plastic bottle) with their own labeling. They do list quite a lot of different ink formulation numbers.

I only have an opinion on what I've used, but the custom replacement cartridges for the Brother were a perfect fit and the printing is great.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to