Best Universal Remote?

What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?

There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on, switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car. Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.

My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a computer also.

Is there any remote out there that does this that does not cost as much as a TV itself?

I have seen products by a company called Universal Remote Control that are interesting. The MX-350 Osiris has some nice features and can control things by RF. The price at around $130 (street) and its associated MRF-250 RF receiver (about $60 street) are reasonable. My son just got this unit with his home theater. I am going to check it out, but I thought I would see what you-all thought.

Reply to
eganders

JR North

They are all 100% Chinese scum of the earth. If you want a good remote you need to buy the original equipment part.

Reply to
RonKZ650

They are all 100% Chinese scum of the earth. If you want a good remote you need to buy the original equipment part.

Reply to
RonKZ650

The universal remotes will never do all the functions of the set. You will only be able to do the basics. I found for me, the best universal was the One-For-All series.

In the end, you will need the origional if you want to be able to access all the features of your set.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Most originals are 100% Chinese scum of the earth now.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

I have a One for All Kameleon 10, and it works pretty well.

Controls up to 10 devices, touch screen, both IR and RF, receiver included, can be upgraded over the phone(!), or with audio files downloaded from their web. Chargable batteries and charger included.

It appears that this one is not available in the US.

I paid around $170, which is a bit, but well worth it for me. I use it to control all my stuff from another room. I use the universal remote that came with my Denon AVR-3805 HT receiver to control the stuff while I'm in the room with all the stuff.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

The Harmony looks good, but I'll tell you, you can't beat the RF remotes. No misfires. The one my son has is the MX-350 Osiris by Universal Remote. It has the handheld unit and a RF remote that retransmits to devices that work on infrared through little transmitters (6 of them) that stick to each device as well as a retransmitter on the RF remote itself. It appears to work like the The Kameleon 10 sounded good until you said you use the Denon remote when you are in the room with all the equipment. If it was as good as what I am looking for, it would be used all the time!

Harmony 880, but is more like the Logitech 966193-0403 PC / MAC Infrared / RF Remote Control. That thing sells for nearly $400 where the MX-350 sells for about $190 for both units on the street. The MX-350 (that my son has) does not seem to have a way to connect it to a computer, but maybe I am wrong here. It does seem to be a very nice unit and easy to use.

Anyone ever have a chance to compare these two?

Reply to
eganders

The downside of the MX350 is that it requires a $170 interface to connect to a computer to archive or upload programs. It made sense for us to get becasue we do dozens of them for our clients. For an individual, I'd suggest the Harmony. It is a bit easier to work with IMO and has the USB interface built in.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

hmmmm. Interesting. That sure gives one to the Harmony. What else besides the USB built-in interface makes it easier to work with? Why don't you use it, because it is more expensive after you purchase the interface for the MX350?

Reply to
eganders

I think the Harmony is easier for someone who is not used to programming these remotes and can just download the configuration with the USB interface. The MX350 is cheaper and we use a lot of them. We invested in the interface because we do use them. The MX350 is really easy to set up if you have to learn codes from another remote.

Either is fine if yo uget to know them well enough. For an individual who may not spend a lot of time learning to program, I think the Harmony is easier. JMO, YMMV.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

And if you have SONY HDD-DVD -recorder you probably can't find an universal remote which can be used. I needed extra remote for upstairs where I'm using wireless link.

Finally I found a reasonable good one from Clas Ohlson. Was 66 euros and it can be programmed. Is quite sutrdy too. May a little bit too sturdy. :-) Has worked just fine. Named only "SMART Remote".

It is a swedish company and has no shops in the UK. But if somebody recognizes this remote it is perhaps possible to find worldwide too.

This programmable remote has been quite popular but I haven't tired it.

Medion has one too but it is just awful. You can't really use it and some SONY codes were impossible to store. Here is a picture just for warning. Do not buy this one!

 Matti Kaki at iki dot fi  http://www.sci.fi/~oh2bio
 =========== Location: 60.414 N 25.097 E ===========
 Navigare Necesse Est    -    Vivere Non Est Necesse
Reply to
Matti Kaki

I have a big problem with remotes that only do one TV set. I prefer to have at least two TV's set up and running.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I got myself 2 OneForAll URC-8811 units, and they work like a charm for all my devices. Even wierd remotes like my Yamaha Receiver which needs discrete codes, and a small Samsung TV which I could not get any other remote which had access to some of the special buttons. And even if you can't get the discrete tables for your devices (which are not too difficult to find on the net), there are Learning keys. Remote can be had for < $25 in most cases.

Combine that with a JP1 cable, and you got yourslef a fully customizable remote, which can do just about anything for most IR remotes. They even have the 9910 model, which is similar but has an RF addition. RF base, which can be used as a repeater. Great for controling Larger HT units and HTPC, which are hidden away in closets, etc....

The URC8811 is honestly the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Plenty

8811 and 8910/11 units to be had on ebay also. Remotes are made by UEI, and distributed under the "OneForALL" name brand.

They even have 4 macro buttons, which I love for turning on all my devices one shot, and same for turning them all off.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Tony

Reply to
MTLNews