universal remote control standards

Hi all, Looking to build an universal remote control for me, i am seeking for a standard available that provides protocols and codes used by manufacturers. A centralized database. all info is welcome,

Reply to
cbriere

Here are the specs you really need:

Build? A 13$ remote? You must be joking, right?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

You mean like this?:

Do the mankind a a favour and build a cheap TV-B-Gone-s :)

Reply to
sky465nm

Ditto that last sentiment. Great fun in Walmart.

The word from "electronics design" is that remotes of the future will have encryption to prevent TV hacking. Wonder what that will do to the $5 "universal" remotes.

Reply to
default

I realy HATE these babbling TVs with flashcards that babbles about worthless products. That will only distract from finding what I'm looking for. I have yanked some powercables. I do not believe in being harrased as customer.

Oh they want to escalate, fine, now where is that schematic for a portable EMP "transmitter".. ;)

What 'electronics design' ..? source?, let's hope they make something that will alienate customers, misplace trust and be insecure anyway ;)

Did they specify any reason to up the ante ..?

Reply to
sky465nm

The LIRC site looks good,

yes that's the info i am looking for, but, i am not shure about the maintenance of the info. not garanteed i was looking for something more "official"

I found the zilog site to have a database "ZBASE" they claim to have the widesst library bank on the marquet. Anybody has experience whith these chips?

Reply to
cbriere

I have one:

Best $8 I ever spent.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Electronics Design magazine. It's in the trash already. Apparently someone turned up with a TV be gone at a trade show and disrupted it, so the talk immediately turned to encrypting remote controls.

Actually it would be easy to just put some tape over the receiver's IR port - they haven't figured that out at Walmart yet. Beats increasing the cost of the systems. (and you can still have fun with your TV B gone).

Wait until the stores link the ads on the monitors to the RFID chips they will be putting in your clothing . . . and linking that to the database showing everything you are interested in - they could even follow how long you pause at a display. Of course the shopping cart will also have a display . . .

I doubt you could make a portable EMP transmitter smaller than an automobile or so for a range of several feet . . .

I was reading (on line) about an emp generator - they used a super cooled coil of wire for a magnet and a shaped charge of explosive that sequentially shorted turns of wire from one end of the coil to the other to direct a pulse of EMP energy in one direction - didn't sound like it would lend itself to home brew.

It is supposed to be possible to wipe out the RFID tags with a mini EMP - photoflash cap discharged into a coil held by the RFID antenna.

Reply to
default

$8? how'd you do it? They list it for $15.99

Probably just a matter of time before homeland security makes them illegal . . . "maliciously interfering with commerce" or something that sounds vaguely threatening.

default

TV-B-gone interruption by Gizmondo at CES ..? After reading up on it, I must say it was really bad judgement on his part. Airport, train/bus station, supermarket, etc.. with monitors chasing you at every corner with spam is another case. Let's just keep those remotes in cleartext :-)

I know tape is really expensive for wallmart ;)

If they want confrontation they will have it eventually.

Reply to
sky465nm