DAB+ radios, who's buying these things?

Since I last looked at the market a year a go things don't seem of changed much at all. Prices are still about 8 times those of a conventional FM/AM radio and if you believe the reviews on the Dick Smith web site many of them suffer from basic user interface design flaws either due to buggy firmware or just poor design. It's bizzare - why would anyone buy one?

Reply to
coms

I'm toying with buying with one due to interference on the AM band from:

1) the network card in one of our PCs 2) a SMPS charger for our electric scooter 3) one of our Nokia phone chargers 4) our neighbors rev cycle airconditioner.

I looked at them again (at DSE). Still too expensive for me.

Battery life seems to be a big issue. I run a small radio under my pillow on AM all night. I've cut the leads on the tuning LED and get around 2 weeks out of a pair of generic brand AA alkaline batteries. The digital radios seem to give < 10 hours from a set of batteries. I also suspect they will be less forgiving as the battery voltage gets to the lower end of its range.

Reply to
Dennis

d much

o and

from

or

I don't have one, or know anyone with one, and based on the "deafening silence" you hear on the digital radio issue from everyone, I have no idea what the take up rate is, or even if there is much in the way of digital coverage outside major cities, or along highways.

One big problem I can see with these DAB units is integrating them into cars that don't have what used to be standard DIN rail type stereo's anymore. Many late model cars seem to have the audio system integrated into the dash, and even into the car itself in many cases (such as those radio/CD's that display info in the instrument area along with the speedo rather than on the front of the system itself, as well as control buttons on the steering wheel etc.). For all I know, they might be integrated even more into the car's computer system in some models, and at very least might cause problems (garbage on displays, error messages etc) if removed from the vehicle.

Putting an aftermarket DAB stereo into some of these vehicles might involve a lot of butchering, and pretty shit results cosmetically in some cases, especially where there isnt a flat surface available on the vehicle console, and maybe not enough clearance behind the console either.

This will be an important issue, as I would think that a large amount of radio listening time is spent in the car to and from work, shops etc - especially if they switch to digital at some time in the future, and kill the analog system as they are in the process of with TV. For that matter, do these DAB systems use the same aerial or does it need to be changed ?

I saw some DAB radios at Aldi on Friday, but they didnt excite me at all. Looked like a cheap crappy "portable radio" type thing with single

2.5" (approx) speaker. There were still heaps in stock. I cannot remember seeing them anywhere else around the shops - or recall any efforts being made to promote them.

I would only buy one, if I had a guarantee that I could get that "Alan Jones" in my area (he isnt available on FM radio here). Trevor "recommends" him highly in the way only Trevor can.

To give an idea of the price of these things, for about the same money, I could have bought their (Aldi) "Bauhn CD Micro system" that at least has a CD player, MP3 facility by USB stick or SD card, as well as an FM radio, and better speakers - even stereo :)

Or could have got their crappy looking turntable, with single small inbuilt speaker, cassette player, and USB/SD slot for MP3 playback. One can only cringe thinking at how bad this unit must sound especially on records and tapes

For some reason I usually leave there with just my grocery items :)

Reply to
kreed

If you like to listen to ABC (in Perth) and don't like the AM quality, a digital radio does the job. I've got one and my radio clock is a digital one too.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

Another benefit I believe is that when ABC 720am switches to cricket/footy or whatever the digital program generally continues.

Reply to
Dennis

This one is sixty dollars and includes an FM radio and digital TV tuner . It does require a rather expensive peripheral in the form of a computer but I'm guessing you already have one :)

Reply to
David Segall

Just a thought,

You might get better value from a set of Chinese NiMH and a charger. I use these:

I have 8 of these batteries 3 years old that have done 200-300+ full cycles each and from that group I have one AAA which is starting to look like it is finished. At your rate of use your break even time is about 1 year.

I have a lot of SoShine batteries and other than the name I have no complaints - they seem to actually be the rated capacity and they last. Unlike Maxus (1/2 capacity), anythingFire (Tandyfire, Angelfire, Ultrafire etc) at 1/3 - 2/3 capacity and BTY (Batteries Thought You (their cheapest cells 5% - 10% of marked capacity and 0 to 10 cycles life - pathetic)

And I just re-read that you use AA. These one are good -

I used to use them a lot, they have no problems other than that normal to standard NiMH. I wouldn't expect a problem with them holding a charge for a month while sitting in a draw.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

And I thought I was the only one who doesn't like footy or cricket :) There are also some other digital channels worth having. e.g. the comedy channel, once or twice a week. A strange thing is how I miss a remote control when just about everything else has one these days.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

I have one, it can run on mains also with a re-charge battery inside. My preference is for jazz and the ABC runs 24/7 with no ads which to me is a big plus. To hear anything at a decent quality of course it's an earphone job or through the amp. Plus you can select stuff or repeat etc, etc.

Rheilly

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Thats not a bad idea, I've got a decent charger already. Probably a good idea for the kids wireless xbox controllers too.... Thanks.

PS - nice sig line.

Reply to
Dennis

Yep, the specialty music channels are a definite plus for me. Titles and artists shown on the display, or you can go to the just played website page for the ABC channels. Just note that the time zones on just played are a bit of a mess, the best way to use it I've found is to pretend you're in the ES, set the zone to EST and time to what it would be over there for the time you want where you are. If I try the WA setting the results are way out.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

I have a clock radio one (nice that they automatically adjust the time) and a pocket one for use on the train (no interference on AM from the rails power lines etc).

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Yup, the old aunty thinks we all live over there now :-)

Rheilly

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Why would Aldi be selling a DAB radios in Newcastle when there are no DAB radio stations in Newcastle?

Reply to
Barry

much

I just threw out a tuner with an AM stereo decoder because it only worked with one amp and because only 2HD here is transmitting in stereo AM.

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
Jeßus