ATX power supply to bench supply conversion

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best group for this. I found several articles on the process of using an ATX power supply and convert it to a bench supply. The problem I am having is that the wire color codes and pin outs are not standard ATX. I looked several places, including this website, to see if I could find out what the pin outs would be.

It is a LiteOn 140W PSU with +/-5V, +/-12V, +18V, and +5V standby (underside of the PSU). I actually had to open it to see what wires were what voltage. The board actually has them listed as:

6 Red: +5V 5 Black: Ground 1 White: +18V 1 Yellow: -12V 1 Purple: -5V 1 Grey: PG, I am guessing 'Power Good' 1 Orange: +12V 2 Brown: P/C and F/C (not sure what these are supposed to be)

The pinouts from 1 to 20 are:

Red Black Red Black Grey Red Orange Yellow BLANK White Brown Black Black Black Purple Red Red Red Brown BLANK

Any ideas? I am out of them. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

Um. What's your actual question? Your colour coding looks correct at a glance, so you know which voltages should be on which wires. As you guessed, PG = "power good", so all you need to do it short the grey wire to a black wire (you can use a 1K resistor if you're feeling paranoid), & the it'll power up just fine. I have a couple of PC PSUs set up the same way on my own bench.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

quoted text -

I guess it is ok; however, every single site I go to does not show this pin out or color coding for an ATX power supply. Real quick, Blue is -12V on every site that I have seen...among others.

The question I really wanted to ask concerned the brown wires. Not sure what they are supposed to be. The board says P/C and F/C. If shorting the grey wire to ground is all I need to do, I will set that up and just measure them with a Fluke.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

On 1 Apr 2007 21:24:54 -0700, "Kingcosmos" put finger to keyboard and composed:

+18V is not a standard ATX voltage. Furthermore, the LiteOn has no +3.3V rail. Could this supply be for an industrial PC ???

Power/Control ??? Fan/Control ???

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

A 140 watt supply in an industrial PC? :) Maybe it's out of an Apple?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

[...]

That's what I'd do.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,
  \|/  \|/              Perna condita delenda est
Lionel

Success!

The grey wire appears to be power good so that should be an output. I connected the only +5V coming up (which I think is the standby voltage) to the brown wire P/C (I agree-- power control), and the rest of the rails came up.

Everything looks good. Still not sure about what the supply actually is.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

On 3 Apr 2007 18:00:14 -0700, "Kingcosmos" put finger to keyboard and composed:

In a regular ATX PSU, the PS_ON pin is shorted to ground to turn on the supply.

Could the 1-wire 18V rail be for an LCD panel or touch screen ??? Point of Sale system ???

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sure! We ship industrial nema-4 systems with even less power. 50-80 watt power supplies and mobile processors.

Reply to
JW