ATX power supply power switch

Hi, I am planning on using an ATX power supply in a kiosk type application, and I am trying to figure out what to do with the power switch. The ATX power supply has a normal on/off AC switch, which is what I would like to use. However, this only puts the supply in standby mode. The power switch on the front of a PC, pulls the PS_ON line to ground, which turns on the rest of the supply. What I am not sure, is if I can keep the PS_ON line permanently tied to ground, or is it just a momentary input? Can it do any damage to the supply if I keep it hardwired to ground? Thanks, Allen

Reply to
AllenB

You can keep it tied to the ground permanently, no problem.

Piotr

--
www.elitel.pl -  control systems design and development
 Click to see the full signature

Except that it won't necessarilly work. I had a similar situation and was appaled to find there was no consistent way to assure an ATX power supply will turn on without the momentary ON signal. It is a rather silly oversight IMHO.

Reply to
John Harlow

Not from the point of view of the intended usage, I'd say. I don't think ATX was ever intended to be used in unattended systems. Nor was it ever planned to *have* a primary-side power switch in an ATX system

--- it's supposed to be always-on on the primary side.

Anyway, the issue is quite moot since most BIOSes let you configure the mainboard to do this for you. "Automatic AC power loss restart" is what this feature is often called.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

... Which will work if he is actually planning to use an ATX motherboard of some kind and his BIOS has that option.

If not, then a simple way to guarantee proper startup is power a small microcontroller from +5STBY, have it monitor the +5V line or 'Power good' and pulse the ON/OFF line if power isn't present after a short time.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Turk

Or a simple 555 timer circuit or similar.

Reply to
John Harlow

Sure, no problem - except that it will probably shut the entire unit down after a couple of seconds of powerup. The switch-on signal has to be momentary. I suggest a one-shot powered off the +5V standby power line.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Now I'm shooting from the hip, but if only a momentary signal is required, couldn't you just tie the PS_ON to ground through a capacitor? This would pull the signal to ground until the cap charges, and toggle the power supply on.

-Jim

Reply to
Mood

Where does one find this for say Windows XP?

Interesting: Bootstrapping the bootstrapping the bootstrapping.

Where is the uC getting the power to operate to ensure the power supply has started?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

+5STBY is the "standby voltage", provided at all times while the PSU is plugged in, specifically for circuits like this (and WOL and other similar frippery).
Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

What makes you think Windows would have anyting to do with that? I wrote "BIOS" up there, didn't I?

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Yes, you did!

Reply to
Gerard Zagema / StackTools

Let's be nice now. You are dealing with less than expert PCers here in this newsgroup. If we were expert PCers, we wouldn't have to work for a living.

Substituting "BIOS" for "Windows XP", how does one find the "Automatic AC power loss restart" feature?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

[...]

Am I? Well, then let me put it in a different way: if you are building something that isn't a PC, you probably shouldn't be trying to put an ATX supply into it --- or be prepared to blame all the side effects on yourself, not the ATX designers. If you _are_ building a PC, you really should be enough of a PC expert to recognize the term "BIOS" without needing further explanations.

In the Motherboard's internal BIOS setup.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

That is Not the Solution. Look in the BIOS Settings the is an option about what to do after a power interruption. the usual options are: Stay Off Turn On Resume at last state.

Try that.

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

Careful with such blanket statements. There BIOSes out there that have been reported to lack this option completely. Silly, yes, but they exist.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Herr Broeker is not inclined to answer the question, so I'll try again:

How does one get to the BIOS settings? I vaguely recall something about hitting some key during power startup...

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

It varies based on system board manufacturer. Look it up in the manual which came with the board or go to their website.

Reply to
John Harlow

While the computer is booting, before the OS starts loading, the screen normally displays a message, something along the lines of:"Press Del to enter setup". At this point press the delete key. I think where there was some confusion, in that you asked specifically for Windows XP, whereas the BIOS is completely independant of any OS.

Thanks everyone for the useful replies, fortunately I have some custom hardware attached to the PC motherboard. This has an "always on" microcontroller on it, so I can use that to pulse the power line. Regards, Allen

Reply to
AllenB