Apex DVD Player model AD-1110W

Hi,

I have an Apex DVD model AD-1110W in my shop for service. Note: I seldom service DVD players. When I insert a DVD or CD, the message says, "Loading" and after a small delay, "No Disc".

I cleaned the optical pickup lens even though it looked clean.

When I insert a DVD or CD, the optical pickup slides in and out, but the disk doesn't spin. I checked the motor for freedom of rotation. I checked voltages from the power supply and all were good except

+12V & -12V which measured +11.17 & -11.07. I "scoped" all the voltages to check for ripple or noise, but all were "clean".

Is it possible for a DVD player to check for the presences of a disc simply by the reflection without rotating the disc?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

I suppose it could check for a disc first then spin it to check compliance.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yes.... the laser checks for a reflection and tries to focus on the disc, if successful the motor will spin. Disconnect the wires going to the spindle motor and use a small 9V transistor battery to power it .... if it doesn't spin, the motor is bad. You can go to the website for this newsgroup at

there with some of your search time you will find a wealth of CD player repair and troubleshooting information. electricitym

Reply to
sofie