audiosonic portable dvd player , model KM0502 . disc not turning .

hi , i have a audiosonic portable dvd player , model KM0502.

the problem with it is , is that when u insert a dvd disc ,it doesnt turn, the laser moves ok, and it says " disc not inserted " i then connected a 1.5 volt battery to the motor , and it turned ok.

so i presume the power supply section on teh pc board is damaged.

would it be possible to make up a simple reg supply just for the motor ? the thing is , i dont have a clue as to what voltage the motor is ?

anybody know ?

thanks, mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

You are out of luck because the motor must change speed throughout playing the CD.

It starts off spinning fast, and gets slower as it goes towards the end of the CD.

It will be the motor driver IC most probably. I bet it is surface mount, and probably costs over $50 if you can source it. Probably not worth fixing.

Reply to
Phil

Most likely laser is bad. Not worth repairing.

Motors are in the feedback control loop, so it is not going to help just applying the voltage to it.

Does it play CDs? Does laser lense look dirt? If so clean it. (do not use any cleaning solvents on it, though).

Rudolf P.S. Firts rule of CD/DVD technician -- Do not look into laser with your remaining eye

Reply to
Rudolf

Re that last comment....

What is the approx average focal length of CD player optics and how close would your eye have to be to the laser lens to do any damage? Isn't the focal length of a CD laser ~1cm, relying on the refraction of the disc substrate to focus on the tracks, and if thats the case looking at the pretty red dot from a few feet away wouln't you do more damage stepping outside on a sunny day, given the pissy power of a CD laser.

Note I didn't mention DVD, because obviously its a much higher power, and I'm unsure of the focal length as DVDs were a relatively new invention when I got out of the game.

Interested in opinions on this one, although not directly related to the OP.

James

Reply to
James

It was a joke. But it is not recommended to look right into CD laser anyway.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

It is possible that its not the motor but the laser thats's dead. (it cant get any reading from the disc, so it doesnt bother getting to the stage of turning it)

of course you could thoroughly check all the wiring, tracks etc back to the motor driver IC, and also all small value electros etc, in case it IS the motor driver circuit at fault, however beyond that, changing IC's would start to get unreasonably expensive, (and very difficult if surface mount) and whether the motor driver IC was faulty or the laser, or the laser driver chip etc, you could spend a lot of money and time guessing and finding out.

I think its time to replace it with a new unit

Reply to
kreed