AOC 17 Inch Monitor shrinking horizontal picture - Hourglass figure

Hello,

Let me start off by saying that the only experience I have with soldering electronics is from my grade 8 electronics class so I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to repair my CRT Monitor...?

My problem is almost exactly the same as this a thread I found searching google on this forum

&hl=en#703ec0ac89d30c81

My 17 inch AOC monitor has a hourglass shaped picture upon turning it on if left on long enough the picture eventually returns to normal...the pincushion controls have no effect on the monitor when its in this hourglass shrunken state

Could a electronics newbie tackle fixing something like this???

Reply to
Obiwan Rules the house

This is not from a solder connection. It would be more than likely a component or a number of them that have become thermo sensitive with age and use.

With proper troubleshooting technics, training, and the proper tools, it is possible to locate the defective parts and change them.

If you want your monitor serviced, give it out to a professional monitor service place, to have it done safely and properly.

When working on monitors, there are some very serious safety issues involved. It is not worth the personal risk to work in these without having the proper training and knowledge of what you are doing.

TV monitors and microwave ovens are the two most dangerous appliances manufactured for consumer use.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

If I wanted to learn about repairing these type of devices which field in school should i be studying???

"Jerry G." wrote in news:1116705853.071563.126370 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Obiwan Rules the house

Have a read here

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

The best approach is to go to a university or college and enrol in to an electro technology coarse. Usually this is a 3 to 4 year training program starting in basic electronics, physics, and math. After this, you can then go on to a specialization. With an electro technology degree, you can also go on to electrical engineering. From there, you will find many possibilities.

A sort of shortcut way, is to take a one or two year training coarse in TV and appliance servicing through a trade school. These devices are very sophisticated, and without a solid basic electronics background, you would really only be able to grasp things at a very basic level. In this case, your service capability would be more procedural, rather than in a detailed analytic manner.

To study electronics, it takes a lot of time and devotion. There is a lot of math, basic physics, some statistics, and some logistics envolved as well. I would not think you would want to get an electronics degree of some type, just to be able to service your own home appliances!

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.