Horizontal lines in VCR picture

With some of my damaged tapes I get horizontal lines, anywhere from

1/4" to 2" thick, that slowly move down the screen.

With some VCRs, like a Panasonic PV-V4521, those lines look like white static, but with others, like the last standalone Sanyo I could find, the lines are merely distortions in the picture. How did Sanyo do that? Both of these VCRs are hi-fi stereo and have

4- video heads.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Possibly because the dropout compensator is a more sophisticated design using memory rather than a delay line ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

I agree.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

I remember when VCRs appeared with the 'HQ' tag and being amazed at how few comet tails and dropouts there were compared to machines from only a couple of years earlier... presumably those had much better dropout compensators.

-B