another DTV307 with broken blue CRT.

Ok, it is DTV307 chassis and 60" size. Another edsel!

HISTORY: Originally had to change blue CRT for a bad spot which means unit was functioning prior to this. After the CRT change, the unit kept shutting down and had diffcult time getting them adjusted to get all CRT playing together or else it shuts down or awful pic, have to adjust per service manual to balance CRTs and do grey scale set up. For this, had to replace other 2 CRT to get all this working. Except this doesn't stop the shut downs.

Set at our shop with test image of windows via DVI cable getting around to checking with scope probe and check voltages. Come back to find unit dead, CRT neck broken in two where CRT flares out from neck. Sigh.

Contacted RCA local service area and suggested vertical problems but I'm not sure of that.

So what can do this one this time? I'm afraid of that unit to break another CRT. The RCA local service manager told us they had to rebuild those CRTs to meet the parts demands since RCA is no longer producing CRTs of any types. Took us several months waiting for blue CRT so you can see why I'm afraid. :)

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

You said it all.

Time to retire this set. As you know RCA has problems with this design (esp. the CRTs). Quit wasting your customer's money on it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I wish that I could just say, FORGET IT and dump it. Except for few things that is going on with this set.

I'm not sure of that reason for "retiring" this DTV307 is still under warranty. PLUS customer have been without it for nearly 9 months now.

Really, Gonna have to fix it otherwise tell us more whys this is happening that breaks the CRTs this way.

Oh, Happy Christmas EVE!

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

If the customer has been without it for 9 months, then they are due a refund. You are in the U.S. are you not?

Seems like it is time to tell the owner that you cannot guarantee a fix for it and Thomson/RCA has no solid fix and that they should call customer relations to get a refund.

Reply to
dkuhajda

While it's unlikely they will get a cash refund, it's almost automatic that TCE will replace the unit. We had one that had a bad red CRT shutting down the TV (two weeks old), and really bad convergence. I told the customer to call TCE and complain, because it wasn't worth it for me to transport the TV to the shop, replace the tube, and sort out the convergence for the flat rate they pay. TCE swapped the TV within

3 weeks.

John

Reply to
John-Del

John, Talked to Jack, my boss, I wish that is easy one to send it off for exchange... Problem is according to Jack, RCA do not have the similar unit to send out to replace that Edsel. So we MUST repair this, hence the lengthy time for RCA to finally do batch of remaining CRTs to rebuild and send some out to other shops including one to us since RCA is on path of drying up the CRTs production by late 2006.

So any suggestions to prevent possible CRT kill when diagnosing this unit after blue CRT is replaced?

To recap: Was working but cust complaint was for botchy spot which we replaced blue CRT and unit won't stablize and won't let us balance the CRT with scope without shutting down so we replace other green & red CRTs and got it balanced, still shutting down intermittently. Then unit finally broke the blue CRT neck off while I was getting ready with tools to look for intermittent shutdowns.

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

I'd get a manager at Thomson / RCA to replace the set with a current production version. They shouldn't complain about that solution. Or simply encourage the customer to take 'em to court for failure to honor the warranty. Any judge would throw the book at them for a NINE MONTH delay. Your boss should do this before the customer decides to come after his company for taking part in this farce.

Reply to
Travis Jordan