P61310JX4 DTV307 (aka Edsel chassis) pics of CRT in two pieces.

Hi all,

In my years of swapping CRTs of any types I NEVER had this happen like that, cracked projector CRTs face YES, have seen few caused by letting coolant run out too low, CRACK! But this one is FULL of coolant and tube self-destructed rather unique way.

The Blue CRT was initial tube we changed for discolored spot complaint, prior to this swap TV was operating normally. After this, couldn't do grey scale without poor picture and shutting down and unit kept shutting down on brights. Helped if I turn down one of the permeters in service mode, still shutting intermittently.

Changed other green and red CRTs got grey scale working but shutting down persists. The TV simply cuts out and power blinks out and back on trying come back then stayed on. Sometimes stays off. Can turn it back on.

Our field manager we talked to for thomson says vertical problems and I have not seen vertical collapse that could had broke this blue CRT. I still don't buy that yet. Error codes were checked and it didn't point to this area.

Drag that POS back and set it up to troubleshoot intermittent shut downs displaying underscan pic of windows desktop via video input. Turn around and getting stuff ready, turn around toward and see TV dead. Found this broken CRT. GULP! Second blue CRT ordered and this took record longest for order to come in. Was told that thomson had to collect number of CRT and rebuild them because they were not making new projector CRTs for these models.

Oh, I have to order string of yokes. Oh JOY Oh JOY! :( Edsel TV strikes again; RCA in their infinite wisdom created 2 plug yokes assembly all strung up in a row so you can't replace just one yoke out of three. Oh joy!

Here's pics of this broken blue CRT. All pics are under 30K except "two_piecesFLASH.JPG" is 45K

UP is front. Note spider cracks, one long across, and two small diagontal cracks, on the side of CRT is a crack running towards neck.

UP is front.

View of a snapped off CRT & CRT neck.

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to