why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

I have seen two LCD tellies for sale at $299, while most other brands are $400 to $500 for their small models. The $299 specimens had a terrible picture. For one of the cheapies, I saw the specications, which included contrast ratio of 700, but it looked more like a 7:1 ratio. Why are the cheapies so bad? Is the manufacturer using reject components or what?

Reply to
u235bomb

** Makes and models - please.
** Had an " AWA" brand LCD monitor/ TV here in my workshop a week or two ago.

The pic and sound were really excellent.

Customer bought from Big W for $ 299.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Which "workshop" is that Phil? The one at 3 / 19 Prospect Rd, Summer Hill? Which just happens to be your bed-sit flat. LOL

Which begs the question, why bring it to you? Don't you fix toasters? Besides, if the picture and sound were really excellent was it a cosmetic repair?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

The sheltered one.

Reply to
fish..

Oh crap. Thank you very much for that, dammit.

I knew Phil was _somewhere_ in Australia, but was content in believing he was somewhere in the far reaches of nowhere, where not even the stupidest wild animals dare venture.

That address places us as almost neighbours.

Crap. Now I have to move. Perth sounds nice.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Post of the Week :-)

Don Hirschberg
Reply to
Atheist Chaplain

Not according to the "Society for the prevention of cruelty to toasters". :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For you, or him?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Unit's in #19 go up for sale all the time (I wonder why?), that could be your opportunity to confront your deepest fears and move into the same block!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

ROTFLMAO Good one Michael. Nuttin' like a good laugh to start the weekend off with. :-)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Sadyly, for both of us.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

Doesn't Australia have an 'Environmental Protection Agency" ? If you could just have him declared as toxic waste....

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Especially when its at some troll's expense! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's called, "getting what you pay for". Naturally, at the lower price, it is impossible to have the same debt of design. There are costs in manufacturing these sets.

Try looking at the high end name brand sets that are in the over $1200 price range, and you will see even a greater difference!!!

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

You get what you pay for.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

I don't know what you saw.

However, the shops often mal-adjust the cheaper TV's as compared to the expensive TV's to assist in "talking you up" to a more expensive TV.

I've never found any TV you couldn't set up to be of acceptable quality.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:43:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ml1.net put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't know about the smaller sets, but I recently helped my father choose a widescreen 81cm LCD TV. There were several off-brand sets, none of which were visibly inferior, yet I opted for an LG primarily due to fear of poor support from the cheapies. One set had poor colour rendition (flesh tones looked too red), but the salesman was able to adjust it fairly easily via the user menu.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Even the ones with the dead pixels? Lots of the cheap no-name small LCD TV's are knowingly supplied with and sold as having dead pixels.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

No extra charge for the decorative black spots! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You will be surprised how bad service can be with big brands and how good it can be with cheap ones. I am doing warranty repairs for a bunch of smaller brands and I do not want to touch big ones! Way too much hassle and mess. Of course, there are exclusions from the rules. (I am not going to mention names). BTW, many cheaper LCDs use LG panels, so you may as well get a cheaper one and effectively get same TV as LG. Dead pixels. When panel is made, some dead pixels do occur sometime. Panel has to be thrown away. Hence the price tag, especially on the larger panels. Each bad panel adds to the cost of good ones. Some manufacturers pick up those bad panels and sell them in cheap TVs. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you are buying. For some applications (security monitors for example), couple of dead pixels won't matter.

In the end -- you get what you paid for, although, I believe, this is not so true when talking about expensive big names.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf