Advice sought: Diagnosing & Repair of Samsung LN52A650A1FXZA LCD TV

This TV is showing all the signs of a TCON or TAB failure. The RHS of the screen exhibits a combination of various issues: ghosting images, duplicated images, solarized sections on the screen, what looks like 'interlaced lines' on portions of the RHS, and darkened areas. Initially, the problems would clear themselves after the TV was on for 2-3 min, then the time got longer, e.g. 20 mins. Now it is constant. I removed the back and cleaned & reseated the 4 flex ribbon cables at the TCON board which did not solve the problem. The ribbon cables go off to the LCD screen which I could not access. It appears that I have to disassemble more of the TV to access the TAB areas. (not obvious what all needs to be disassembled - comments?)

Assuming I get access to the TAB areas, how to repair them? Googling turns up putting a padded 'shim' between the TAB and the frame, effectively pressing the contacts together. Another approach is to use a hot air gun and pressure to rebond it. Not clear what to use to put pressure on the entire length of the TAB area. So my questions are:

1 - ways to diagnose the problem 2 - how to disassemble the set to access the TAB area 3 - best way to repair the TAB if in fact that is the problem Any advice from ppl that have wrestled with the set is appreciated. J
Reply to
three_jeeps