Shadow on LCD TV

My 3-4 year old Samsung LCD TV has developed a shadow on the RD side of the picture- it's blobby. It only rally shows against bright primary colours (eg: it looks worst on the The Simposons) and isn't that noticeable on a white bacground.

Any ideas? Dirt ona backlight?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Maybe it's a ghost or poltergeist.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

do you smoke?

Reply to
mike

No. Seems it's not uncommon, after a google, but the bad news is that the display panel and lamps are one unit.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I tried cleaning the screen with a microfibre cloth slightly dampened in holy water, and no difference, and the house isn't on a graveyard, so I think maybe not.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Poor analogue signal (deteriorating aerial signal over the years, water and ice ingress in the cable?) and use of an over the top transient improvement sharpening circuit can give these effects.

Does this happen on DVD or digital source playback?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

It's there on all sources (internal freeview, internal analogue, external cable box, DVD) and looks like a static (as in non-moving) blotch on the screen-it doesn't move with any objects on the sreen.

It looks a *little* bit like when a CRT needs degaussing, but not exactly.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It's possible for LCD cells to "jam" on or off. That might be what it is. (One of my monitors where I last worked had this problem.) There is freeware that "exercises" LCD pixels to reverse this.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Nonuniform backlighting can be caused by any kind of warping of the plastic 'sandwich' construction that includes the diffusion screen. Basically, nothing short of a rebuild of the screen will undo the problem. You can try applying gentle pressure (maybe something will shift back into position) but your best bet would be to not watch the Simpsons on this TV.

Reply to
whit3rd

Bugger. That sounds *very* likely: the shadow looks like the effect you'd have if 2 parts of the sandwich were unevenly spaced.

Maybe :-)

but your best bet would be to not watch the Simpsons

:-(

It's the only TV with cable, and the shadow is becoming noticeable on other programmes. It's slowly getting worse, I think.

Reply to
Chris Bartram