6V Power supply in 9V speakers

I have some sony portable speakers that take a 9V power supply, or 4 AA batteries. Is it bad for them to use a 6V power supply (which works), and if so, why? Cheers

Nick

Reply to
Nick Morgan

4 AA batteries = 1.5X4 or 6V. So, 6V should work fine.
Reply to
Troglodite

No... you might notice a bit of clipping or distortion, but if you are happy with it I guess it's fine... you'll probably find the 9V input is nominal and regulated (reduced) down to the 6V which is what the batteries would give...

If it works then it should carry on working.

if

Reply to
UncleWobbly