A Tivo HD Question?

I'am having trouble getting a connection between my Dell 4700 com puter and my hd Tivo I have an Ethernet cabel connected bettween my router and the tivo and still my computer says no tivo is there! Do you have any help for this tired senior?

Reply to
thomas.harrisom40

Does a Tivo run Windose? If not you'll have to treat it like any other non Windose computer on a network. But if it's designed for this aren't there instructions on how to set it up?

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ask on tivocommunity.com

(Wish the UK had TiVo HD, lucky you!)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Hello, Fellow tired senior!!!

While this forum is excellent for many purposes, it lacks expertise in some areas. The best forum for help hacking TiVos is

Pay particular attention to the stickies in the Newbie section. They get a little harsh with people who demand help. Polite requests tend to get swamped with good advice.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

A significant skill people living in the Information Age should have is learning to use a search engine effectively.

*

2 of the suggestions already made appear at the top of that page.

A tip for people trying to find the proper Usenet group to post to:

...and this *IS* Usenet **NOT** Google Groups:

*=-a-service-for-*-*-*+Usenet+*-Wikipedia+hide.the.fact+*-*-policed+concerns-=*-*-*-*-about-the-Google-interface+*-*-follow-Usenet-customs-and-*-rules+*-=*-*-not-*-mustered-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-software+less-*-=savvy-*+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-is-now-legendary+zzz+*-summary+qq+Web

Another tip for Google Groupers:

+1st-line+aka
Reply to
JeffM

Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Do you know the IP address of the Tivo?

If so, you could try to ping it from the PC and that would tell you if it's visible out there on the end of the Ethernet cable.

If the above was just so much gobbledygook, I'd suggest tracking down somebody who knows a little about LANs - maybe a neighbor... and letting them take a look.

Might be an overstatement to say it's *really* complicated.... but there are more than just one or two variables and I find the learning curve tb quite time consuming. I'm a little ahead of you... but not that far.

--
PeteCresswell
Reply to