lookng for 4 pole footswitch

Hi,

I'm trying to find a 4 pole changeover footswitch for a Maxon guitar effrects pedal. Not the kind of thing you see every day.

The original is made by Fujisoku, but they do not appear in their catalogue. I suspect these are custom made for Maxon.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

catalogue.

If mains powered then adapt with a relay attached to an ordinary one, I've never seen a 4 pole one. If you do find an exact replacement it will probably be weaker than the original anyway.

N_Cook

Just curious, but do you guys who do this sort of work and are sensitive to value of service time issues ever just disassemble and refurbish such things as switches? I found it more cost effective to disassemble and rebuild special, but well constructed, DPDT push button switches used in a (U.S.) bingo board than to order new ones.

Michael

Reply to
msg

IMHO this would only be valid with particularly well constructed or expensive parts. And that doesn't happen much these days. I believe that for most modern equipment the customer would rather pay for a new switch rather than pay the same or more to refurbish the old one, which won't last as long. I learned a long time ago that I didn't like customers bringing me back equipment they'd paid me to repair a few months later saying, "that pot/switch/socket you cleaned for me has got dirty again".

In this case the footswitched is smashed to pieces.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Hi Gareth

Could you perhaps post a photo of the remains of the switch somewhere, I might have something lurking in the recesses of my workshop which will do.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I'll do that tomorrow Ron, most kind.

FYI, Maxon is run by the Japanese guy who designed the Ibanez Tube Screamer. To a guitarist this is like saying he designed Bugatti racing cars. Suffice to say this pedal is worth over 300 quid on FleaBay, and all the cool famous guitarists have them.

I have in the last 5 minutes got an email from the USA distributors Godlyke, who have referred me to a French distributor, so there may be hope of the proper replacement. This pedal was brought to me before, and back then Godlyke said they had a switch kicking about but it would cost $40 + shipping + tax. The customer politely refused, but now realises he has no option.

Worst case scenario is fitting a relay, as Mr Cook suggested, since the pedal is external powered only. Not sure how this would affect its value, which is an important consideration.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

sensitive

disassemble

do.

Screamer.

Suffice

famous

Godlyke,

I've never come across a latching footswitch that is sensibly repairable. Either a tiny bent or worn pivot in the centre or tiny bit of swaged brass broken that holds the two main parts together. BTW anyone know the technical name for the stepped 1/8 turn : 1/4 turn rotational ratchet mechanism is called that is used in some of these latching switches? it is the same mechanism as in retractable ball point pens.

Of course fudge replacement could be 2 off DPDT miniature relays instead of the usually more bulky / heavier duty 4PDT ones

N_Cook

Photo posted in:

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Note the (remaining 3) contacts operate sideways. Total solder tags = 12.

Also note the standard Marshall footswitch on the right for scale.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

No, I didn't think so somehow.

Pretty much a bespoke switch I reckon. Not so sure it is a good design idea though, but hey, if you are Mr Bugatti ......

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis