Dell FP Monitor screwing-up sleep mode on Mac

I just got as a gift a Dell 2407WFP Monitor to use with my Mac G5. The monitor has a built-in USB hub & universal USB media reader. This is really handy for me as my CPU is located way under my desk. Unfortunately when the USB connection is connected to my computer it prevents the computer from going into sleep mode. (the computer goes to sleep and then instantly wakes up again). I have found several cases of this documented on the net when using a Dell FP monitor (& USB connection) with a Mac.

I can of course disconnect the USB portion of the monitor and everything will work correctly, but I really hate to give up this great convenience.

If I switch the +5 volts on the USB connection going to the monitor the computer will sleep correctly. I have tried powering a relay to do the switching from several different sources but these sources power down too late in the sleep cycle and the computer wakes up again.

The monitor has 12V to power external speakers. This output powers down when the monitor sleeps (but as above too late to help).

I have also tried the 5V and 12V from the HD power connection this also has the same problems as above.

Anyone have any cleaver ideas on how to power the relay or how I might be able to circumvent this problem without giving up the media reader?

Thanks

Reply to
Brett