8V 40mA bi-pin lamp (Marantz)

Maybe, maybe not. If I had one in my inventory/junque box, I would consider it a cheeap expeeriment and give it a try. If I could get one for about a dollar, I would consider taking a chance.

** Wide angle, 5mm blue LEDs sell for about $1.00 each.

The correct 8V bi-pin lamps will cost you more.

You will need one resistor ( 470 ohms to 1kohms) for each LED and just ignore the insane crap here from AD etc about visible flicker at 60Hz.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

More importantly, you have to protect it on the alternate half-cycles, the series resistor doesn't usually drop enough voltage at the reverse leakage current to protect the typically 5V PIV.

Either use the LEDs in inverse-parallel pairs, or protect each one with an inverse-parallel 1N4148.

Reply to
Ian Field

And yet he still has more lucid moments than JF & JT put together!

Reply to
Ian Field

If there is (or you perceive) any flicker, just wire a bead tantalum across each LED - just make sure there is *NO* reverse current.

Reply to
Ian Field

"Ian Field = Fool"

** The spec of 5V is a nonsense.

Red LEDs take at least 9V reverse before any current flowed.

The white ones I have in stock took 22V with no current.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Getting away with a single static test is one thing - continuous repetitive negative half-cycles might have a more tangible effect on LED life expectancy.

Reply to
Ian Field

Gotta agree with Phil, The 5V spec is nonsense. I haven't found an LEDs that (reverse bias) avalanche at any voltage less than 20V. If no current flows then what damage is done?

Phil, do you perhaps know the part number of the red LED that could only take 9V of reverse bias? I'd like to order some.

Oh.. most of the LED's I looked at took over 100 V of reverse bias till they avalanched.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Still trying to put them down, and I doubt either read the group when it isn't cross posted to SED.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

** Just checked a bin of assorted LEDs for breakdown voltage with a test current of around 10uA.

The lowest was 30V and the highest was 157V - both red LEDs.

A blue LED was 21V.

Two white LEDs were 42 and 61V

LEDs of the exact same type show similar figures, but the variation between types is large.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison tastede følgende:

Beancounting:

If the variation is large, if X percent of the LEDs have a breakdown voltage below the one in the circuit, a reverse diode cost Y, the repair cost is Z, collateral damage is P, damage to reputation is Q, do you pur a reverse diode in?

Perhapes forward voltage is a median, but if reverse breakdown is fatal, it is the 0.001 percentile or something.

"Don't exceed this voltage, one in ... might break". Don't want it to be the gear down indicator on your next flight.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

"Leif Neland"

** Wot is WRONG with this wog idiot ??

** But the threshold is at least 30V for any red, green or amber LED !!!!!!

Generally much higher and easy to test.

** The application is replacing 6V and 12V lamps that run from AC.

Fuckwit .

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison har bragt dette til os:

Your title should go below your name, not above.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to
Leif Neland

"Leif Neland"

** Your mother needs shooting.

What a vile piece of know nothing, autistic scum you are.

Get off this newsgroup for ever.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

en

Grin.. yeah large variation. We're using these red led's (AND114R) as reve rse biased photo detectors. Vbreak ~25 volts. The same company makes a si milar led.. same material, same wavelength (AND113R) a bit more light. It' s breakdown voltage is ~120 V.

Thanks for the measurements.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

st

ween

Huh? If it's critical just put another LED or diode back to back in parall el. (I wonder if someone already makes such a device.) George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Having KF'd JF months ago, I only see his insane ranting when someone else replies to him - JT is becoming increasingly comedic, great stuff for a good belly-laugh.

Reply to
Ian Field

It still exceeds what the manufacturer *GUARANTEES* that the part can withstand.

If you want to take a chance running the part out of spec, that's your choice.

Reply to
Ian Field

2-pin bi-colour LEDs exist - but the end result won't be either red nor green.
Reply to
Ian Field

Ian Field udtrykte præcist:

Yes, that is my point.

Here's some old news:

One half of the led lights in the positive half-cycle, the other half in the other half-cycle.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to
Leif Neland

Phil Allison tastede følgende:

It would be interesting to test this:

12V AC, one led with a dropping resistor, giving say 10mA. Another led, with a diode in reverse, same size dropping resistor.

24V AC, similar circuits. (dropping resistor having the proper larger value)

Run for a a couple of months, or until a led fails.

I bet it will be the one at 24V without diode in reverse.

Leif