8V 40mA bi-pin lamp (Marantz)

Hello all,

Anyone know of a generic lamp that is an 8 volt, 40 mA bipin type? These are used as source indicators in receivers like the Marantz 2270 and 2275. The 6.3 volt 7380 is readily available, but won't last long running on 8 volts, and gets too hot as well.

Of course a reliable vendor who sells them would be just as good.

Many thanks, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

"Tim Schwartz"

** Gee - a small bi-pin lamp is just begging to get replaced with a white LED.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

An LED and a resistor should work best.

Reply to
dave

What he said!

Reply to
dave

eBay or use 6V bulbs and a dropping resistor...

Or LEDs as Phil suggested.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

**I've found that owners of those old Marantz recievers are only too happy to spend some extra bucks on replacing ALL lamps with LEDs. That includes the stereo and source indicator lamps. The payoffs are huge. They include:
  • Far lower power consumption and consequent minimised damage to the plastic housing that contains the dial back-lighting.
  • Far, far more attractive dial lighting, if the LEDs used are blue ones.
  • Indefinite (or at least very long) life-span for the lighting.

I've found that Lumileds? work extremely well, due to their wide dispersion characteristics. It requires some extra effort for the repairer though. You can purchase plug-n-play replacements from eBay, if you can't be bothered doing your own work.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

"Arfa Daily"

** LEDs are, believe it or not, DIODES !!

So they can be used on low voltage ( ie 6.3V ) AC supplies with only a series resistor.

Put two of 'em in reverse parallel and the supply voltage can be much higher.

They come in all colours too: red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.

Some ingenuity may be needed to get the best result in each case, but it well worth not having to search high and low for special, low current tiny bulbs.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison kom med følgende:

Having LEDs run on one half-phase of AC can cause flicker.

It can be seen on cheap christmas decorations, which flicker annoyingly, especially at the perifical vision, which is optimized to see quick movements of e.g. predators. If you look at the light directly, the flicker is less or not noticable, because at that angle the eye wants details, not speed.

It might be less noticable at 60Hz than the european 50Hz ac.

So it might be advisable to rectify the ac either full wave or just a diode and a cap.

IMHO the lights turning off slowly also looks more cool than an led turning off abruptly :-)

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

"Leif Neland"

** For typical red bezels or indicator lights, it is simply not visible.
** I am posting from Aussie land - we have 50 Hz.
** The lack of visible flicker was surprising to me.

It tried red and white leds with the same result.

** Neon bezels have been going off fast since, like forever.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Arfa Dickhead Daily"

** WTF has that got to do with my comment ?????????????????

Fuck of you pathetic pommy fool.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Are you sure they are bi-pin lamps? I own a couple Marantz receivers of that vintage (2215 and 2275), and they used "fuse lamps" which have the same dimensions as a 3AG fuse.

The fuse lamps are readily available on eBay. You can also get them from All Electronics in Van Nuys, California; the 8V lamps are $1 each or $8.50 for 10, while 6V and 12V lamps are slightly cheaper.

Reply to
jfeng

Phil Allison sendte dette med sin computer:

Have you had your Coprolalia disgnosed properly?

The treatment could be botox at the vocal cords (would it help for typing? Possibly in the hands instead) or brain surgery.

Do you know how you got it?

If we know your bad behaviour is caused by a disease, it is easier to forgive.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to
Leif Neland

En el artículo , Leif Neland escribió:

He'd have to have a brain in the first place to operate on.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

"Arfa Dickhead Daily"

** I live in Sydney.

The subject is LED bezels.

I was speaking from REAL experience - not making stupid guesess like you.

And YOU are the man with defective colour vision and gods know how many other genetic defects.

BTW:

How many red LEDs have YOU used to replace the bezel lamps in Fender amps ??

There is no sign of flicker.

Surprising but true.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**The 6.3 Volt bi-pin lamps are used for input selection indication and for the stereo beacon. The dial backlights are fuse style, 8 Volt 200ma types.
**Except that the OP wanted bi-pin lamps, which are not difficult to obtain.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

There are the source indicators (PHONO, FM, AM, TAPE, AUX, ....) NOT the dial scale lamps, which are 'fuse type'.

--Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

I guess I never had to replace any of those in my sets.....;-)

I hesitate to enter the fray, but if I thought 12V lamps were brigth enough , I would just use those. That might be easier to find. Operating at 8V, they would probably last a very long time (the GE rule of thumb from the mi ddle of the last century was the twelfth power of the voltage).

Reply to
jfeng

**Except that is a REALLY dumb idea. The dial scale in the old Marantz recievers is blue. Incandescent lamps emit very little energy in the blue end of the spectrum (which is why Marantz had to use large numbers of lamps in the first place - Technics and Pioneer models of the time managed to use two or three lamps, whilst Marantz employed as many as 9). Operating an IC lamp at reduced Voltage will reduce blue output still further, thus causing the dial scale to be quite dark and possibly unusable. Blue LEDs are the perfect solution. Indefinite life-span, low heat dissipation and perfect colour rendition. White LEDs are also excellent, but with a shorter life-span and sligtly inferior colour rendition.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Maybe, maybe not. If I had one in my inventory/junque box, I would conside r it a cheeap expeeriment and give it a try. If I could get one for about a dollar, I would consider taking a chance. You may have a differnt tolera nce for taking this kind of risk.

Reply to
jfeng

**It's not a risk. It's just a dumb idea that won't provide any worthwhile benefit.