45-degree diagonal cutters?

Printing hell! You can "print" hard 3D prototypes now.

But according to the dumbass, buying such a machine will surely take your company down.

Reply to
life imitates life

No, but what I do think is common in India, is that the low paid workers have tools provided by their employers and the employers own the tools.

The workers are paid far too little to buy their own tools and if they were given them, sell them to buy cheap tools and use the money for food, etc.

The philosophy may be different, but the result is the same.

Note that India is a very large place and not everyone who lives there is poor.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or

I don't know to whom you refer, but it could be thought that way. (just a stretch, not a position I'm supporting)

Let's go back to the small company with designers and engineers and a bunch of people (titles irrelevant) who build 3d models of things. If you buy one of the machines, the lower skilled model/prototype makers will be replaced by it.

This leads to the higher skilled (and older) makers retiring and leaving the company, assuming they stay around that long. As the devices get better, which they will over time, the more skilled makes they can replace.

In some ways it's sad, the son of a friend of mine took a course to run a CNC device. Twenty years ago he would have been called an operator, now his title is engineer.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

NO. The company get a prot-type without having to pay the machine shop a tooling charge. The model maker IS your designer, and his position remains. Most companies do not have their own machine shops.

Grasping at straws. We advance as we advance, and the skilled craftsmen remain and skills get handed down. Why do you think a YF-22 costs $230M?

Oh boy. I studied them at ten years old back in 1970. They call these things paradigm shifts. Computer controls allow precision machinists to precisely machine. Piss and moan machinists fall away as chaff. Time and progress marches on.

Reply to
life imitates life

Just because you mentioned the YF-22, I submit the following video for your entertainment:

Just in case you don't get it right away, this was shown at an Indian Defense Conference. The man represents Israel, the woman India, and the company who made it, Rafael, has its products placed around the stage.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Wow. Rafael makes some very advanced stuff to have such a lame ad evolutionary position.

Hell, it is even illegal in India to make such a suggestive "movie". Or at least it was.

In India, even staring at a tomato in the rain was too suggestive. Big missiles with veils draped over them.

How quaint.

Reply to
life imitates life

Thereby releasing details of the product beyond your control and into the hands of a foreign power, I don't think so.

How do you think Iran and North Korea get hold of technology they shouldn't have?

I'll keep outsourced production within US jurisdiction and control, if you don't mind.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I don't mind at all. I just think that ship sailed in 1947. You would be surprised (or maybe you would not, I don't know) how much US technology isn't.

The company name is "American", the patents were filed in the US (among other places), but the actual invention, development and manufacturing are somewhere else.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

I picked up a barely used set of Lindstrom (Sweden)Model Rx 8142. I am not sure if the angle is more than 30 degrees, but very well balanced and cushioned. I have forbidden the family to use them! My other cutters look like they have been used for cutting iron nails!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Can anybody tell me why Xcelite nut drivers smell like puke?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

I guess the $6 at Skycrafters was well spent given the furor being raised over US industry buying these Commie Rolls Royce tools versus buying puke smelling Xcelite junk. Nothin' like the smell of Xcelite in the morning to go with your coffee!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Mold is eating the plastic.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Cellulose Acetate Butyrate.

It's mildly aromatic forming Butyric Acid, which is what makes rancid butter and vomit smell so disgusting.

Old Sears Craftsman handles are made from the same stuff. My ancient Xcelite nut driver set still reeks after about 40 years. The stuff is an organic fatty acid as my plastic handles have now accumulated a layer of white mold or fungus. You can use any chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent to clean the plastic, but that will draw out the Butyric Acid, resulting in even a worse smell.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Does that say something about you, or are you saying that the other members of your family were never properly educated on tool care? :-)

Reply to
life imitates life

Cause their polymer formulation sucks compared to that which Sears uses.

Reply to
life imitates life

Yeah, you assulting a co-worker is 'real' honorable.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I never posted the puke comment. Has a cowardly sporger been putting words in my mouth?

I see that the original header from RFI-EMI-GUY's message shows some info about the message being replied to.

It looks like some coward is using eternal-september to sporge me.

snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org

Reply to
Greegor

Learn to read. He deleted all the text from your post, but left the header information. Typical of some careless posters.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Cutting nails shouldn't worry a decent pair of cutters. But obviously smaller ones could bend if trying to cut a large nail. Small electronic cutters should only be used for that purpose. Larger electrician's type will survive lots of abuse if of good quality.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are an idiot, and a troll.

Piano wire is cut with a heavy shear, not a nip cutter. There are no nip style cutters made meant for steel with the exception of bolt cutters and they are a completely different animal. That is why a block shear cutter is used.

Reply to
life imitates life