OT Optical Sensors over USB

Hi,

I've been investigating upgrading the camera included with a (cheap) microscope. It is a VGA USB device, thus around 0.3Mp. Its really just about useless for microscopy, al the details are just blocky and non existant, though the visual image from the microscope is surprisingly good.

The best USB webcam I can find is 1.3Mp, though obviously there are far bigger sensors in even a cheap digital camera. Thing is I just cant find any to buy.

Ideally I would like a 5Mp sensor on a PCB, with USB out, I could bodge into the existing housing. I've just done this by disassembling a 1.3Mp webcam and gluing the PCB into the modified housing. I don't have the microscope here, but the housing does work as a hand held microscope, having built in lenses, but the image is still rather poor for this kind of application.

Question is, what's with the 1.3Mp limit? Is it not possible to get more than this on USB? Why can't you get a 5Mp or greater webcam using a sensor from a digital camera?

I've been Googling without much success on this matter, time to ask someone who knows.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

My guess is that bandwidth (not USB bandwidth) doesn't permit more data than 1.3 for a consumer brand cam. And optically 1.3 is pretty decent for conferencing. There may be commerically available solutions for higher definition but I'm not aware of it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

There are, and this is exactly what I want, but not at that price for 3Mp.

This is more of a challenge to see what's possible under your own steam ;)

Thanks,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Did you need to take microscopic video or are you looking for digital stills? I've seen some scopes with an attachment to hold say a Nikon SLR digital.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Stills.

I've investigated the SLR adaptor route, it is also rather expensive, particularly as I don't own a digital SLR. My Bridge camera doesn't allow such adaptors.

Also, in my experience, digital cameras don't allow monitoring of the live picture via USB. USB is generally for file transfers only. (Correct me if I'm wrong). The webcam solution allows real time monitoring and focusing of what the microscope is seeing on a nice big screen, rather than squinting down a small tube with one eye, ending up looking like Popeye. Handy whether you are taking pictures or not.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

There are several programs that allow you to view and remotely control a DSLR. Google "DSLR Capture" and you will see several options.

Reply to
John Keiser

On 2/10/2010 5:31 PM John Keiser spake thus:

But the OP doesn't have a DSLR. I guess top-posters can't be expected to read an entire message ...

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

How about scrapping the USB and getting a IP based Camera that would connect with a RJ-45 to Ethernet?

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Just been having a look at IP cameras, thanks for the heads up. It seems they also are mostly VGA and much more expensive than webcams. Probably all use the same sensors.

You can go get a complete 10Mp Nikon compact for less money. I suspect these types of larger sensors are just not suitable for webcams/IP cam architecture? Or is there just no demand?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

There are hi res machine vision and CCTV cameras out there. Not quite sure what lens or mounts you need for your application. If you can adapt a consumer camera somehow, thats your cheapest way.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Check Ebay - there are numerous vendors touting a 20.0 megapixel or higher webcam. Might be worth $10US to see if the cameras are any better than what you've found elsewhere.

Examples:

I haven't tried the webcam (20 mpx still, 5 mpx dynamic), but other products have been as advertised.

I know nothing about this vendor, but they advertise a 30 mpx camera.

Reply to
news

Connect camera video out to a USB video digitizer for live preview. Also connect USB to the camera so you can control it with something like gphoto to capture and download the digital images.

Warren Block

Unfortunately, all these ads are lies. What they really are, is a VGA sensor with "software enhancement" that makes a much larger picture, but really no better. A few of them may actually be

1.3Mp sensors, but its hard to tell.

I bought one for £10 just to mess around with, that looks identical to the second one you linked to. I was convinced by the blurb it was a 1.3Mp sensor, and successfully glued the single PCB into my VGA housing, to find it looks to me like VGA again. Haven't tried it in the microscope yet, I don't think I really need to. (The VGA housing contains 2 lenses and you can use it standalone to check performance).

30Mp, my arse.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

This is the one, though not quite brave enough to boast 30Mp. Scroll down to "Technical Details". All sorts of vague waffle including "(using 1.3M Hardware, Enhanced by the software)". Thats why I thought it might be 1.3Mp.

Read it again, it just says 1.3M hardware. Not 1.3Mp. Its VGA.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I didn't see where you explain what it is, that you use a microscope for. Choices vary with desired features, such as mono or color.

As Bob U suggests, there are a lot of options in using video cameras (CCD and CMOS) adapted to microscopes, and there are adapters for numerous consumer digital cameras so they fit microscopes. Some small inexpensive camera boards use CMOS image devices, and the outputs are pretty bad. There are some high grade (industrial, etc) uses of CMOS pickups that produce much better results.

For video, you'd need a composite video-to-USB converter, and software to capture still pics from the video. There are a lot of high quality compact video cameras with lots of lens options, but laboratory-grade equipment isn't likely to be inexpensive.

Don't fall for the hype-BS claims that a lot of cheap (or not cheap) video cameras are actually high resolution, many are not. Video cameras with resolutions under 470 lines aren't condsidered hi-res, when compared to cameras that actually are hi-res.

There are a lot of cameras that boast about using a high grade pickup device (Sony, etc), but with generic signal processing circuitry they don't produce good images. It's worthwhile to choose equipment that's actually produced by a high grade equipment manufacturer. The Sony equipment I have out-performs any low priced equipment that I've compared them to.

If the lenses in your existing device are low quality, using a better optical pickup device may be hampered by the lenses.

Reply to
Wild_Bill