30 Gigs of schematics

Went to there PayPal window and it asks for your PayPal password to login and this is NOT a PayPal secure site.

BEWARE

Reply to
WatchOut

If you read closer, it asks for you email and password IF you have an acct. It also gives the option of paying with CC or debit if you don't. If you have a valid PayPal acct, you can also access it and pay that way. I would suggest you contact PayPal direct to verify if it's legitimate before making accusations.

Reply to
Tech Data

Folks, I have done business on the internet for a long time. It is not this complicated and when it gets this complicated be careful.

John AnaTek Corporation The Electronic Repair Center at

Since 1991.

Reply to
John Bachman

Go to this site

and click on the PayPal icon. When you get to the following page there is a not secure lock at the bottom right of the page. Meaning this is not a secure transaction with PayPal. The lock is open. PayPal does not ask for your login password unless you are at there secure site. The lock will be closed. Maybe you should read about PayPal before making accusations.

You are ask>>

Reply to
WatchOut

If you go to

you can enter your e-mail address and password, and the login is not secure. If you click on the upper right "login" icon, you are taken to a secure login web page where you can enter your e-mail address and password. I never noticed the difference. Is there a difference at the paypal site in the way you login?

Thanks Tony Marsillo

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

When I go to

My email is automatically entered into the email box and has the lock, locked at the bottom right of the page. This is using Netscape, Explorer may not show that you are connected to a secure site. This may be because of cookies enabled. I have a paypal account. I Have never been aked for my password without being notified that I have a secure connection with paypal. I went to this site
and clicked on Paypal, a page popped up with my email already entered and a place to enter my password, and I was not notified that I had a secure connection with paypal. I left the password empty and hit continue, Then I was taken to paypals secure site. Something aint right here.

Reply to
Spooky

Yes.

If you log in via a page that begins http:// , the information you enter is sent to the server in plain text and can be read by someone sniffing the network. In this case the lock at the bottom of the window will be open.

If you log in via a page that begins https:// , the information you enter is encrypted before it is sent to the server and is unintelligible to someone sniffing the network. The lock at the bottom of the window will be closed.

Reply to
Sunny

That is not possible. You must mean

http is a plain text protocol. You will never see the lock closed at an http site. https is an encrypted protocol. The lock will be closed at an https site if your system has established secure communications with the site.

It is good practice to check for both https:// and a closed lock before entering any personal data.

Reply to
Sunny

I hesitated to trust a link to Paypal, except from eBay. I logged over direct to Paypal and paid the 15.00 there.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias
[...] blah blah blah

Yeah, like your nymshifting to make it appear as if there's more than just you with these concerns, ehh, NonTech John Paul Watchout Spooky?:

From: NonTech Message-ID:

From: John Message-ID:

From: Paul Message-ID:

From: WatchOut Message-ID:

From: Spooky Message-ID:

Heh.

Reply to
JW

Hello, Mark! You wrote on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:17:51 GMT:

MDZ> Mark Z.

??>> You are asking for passwords to accounts at this page which is not ??>> secured with PayPal. After you enter your password, then it takes you ??>> to PayPal and a secure site. Some call this Phishing ??>>

??>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:36:58 -0500, John Bachman ??>> wrote: ??>>

??>>> On 14 Nov 2005 15:42:49 -0800, "Tech Data" wrote: ??>>>

??>>>> If you read closer, it asks for you email and password IF you have ??>>>> an acct. It also gives the option of paying with CC or debit if you ??>>>> don't. If you have a valid PayPal acct, you can also access it and ??>>>> pay that way. I would suggest you contact PayPal direct to verify if ??>>>> it's legitimate before making accusations. ??>>>

??>>> Folks, I have done business on the internet for a long time. It is ??>>> not this complicated and when it gets this complicated be careful. ??>>>

??>>> John ??>>> AnaTek Corporation ??>>> The Electronic Repair Center at

??>>> Since 1991.

I have an eBay account as well as a Paypal account. With eBay you can download a free toolbar called account guard which has a small icon to indicate if you are on a genuine eBay / Paypal site or not. The icon is green when the web page is genuine and red if it's a phishing site. I've tested it and I know it works. What I can tell you is, that loging on to Paypal from the TechData site my account guard goes green. Check it out yourself. With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39