2N442 mounting

How do I mount an old germanium trransistor - a 2N442 - is there special mounting hardware/sockets etc?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Depending upon how its legs are arranged, the act of "mounting" this non-existant device may be quite difficult. Please provide more info.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-existant device". It is in my Motorola Data Book, and has a TO-36 case. This case is a small hockey puck, with a mounting stub coming out of one face (collector) and two rigid posts (emitter and base) on either side of it. If needed to insulate the case from the heat sink, there is/was a mica insulator available, and with a bit of heat sink grease, would have worked well. Whether or not you can find one of these mica insulators today is another question, but I bet you could cobble up a working equivalent out of a couple TO-3 (diamond-shaped) insulators.

Bill Jeffrey

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

yes, you mite be able to still find 3 legged transistor sockets how ever, most of those were soldered in. and when you get ready to do so, you will need to use some fine emery clothe or sand paper to clean the legs just prior to soldering. also be careful with the time spent with the iron on the legs.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Big round TO36 case?

If that's the one, a mica window salvaged from a kerosene heater or a replacement for a heater cut with scissors and punched with a hand paper or metal punch. Check NTE replacement parts first - they used to offer a mounting kit.

default

How many of those doorknobs do you need to mount? I think I might have a few of those insulators in my junquebox.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I don't see why you consider is "non-existant". It's in the Motorola data book (1966) for example.

It's a TO36 package. Typically you drill the 4 holes in your heatsink, secure the device with a nut+washer on the central threaded peg which is the collector terminal too, and solder wires to the other two leads (which end in a solder tag) which are B and E. The 4th hole is a clearance for the stud which stops it rotating while you tighten the nut.

I have a TO36 device in front of me (unmarked, from an ancient bag of assorted transistors).

A mica washer insulating kit was available if needed.

There is an engineering drawing of the heatsink drilling in the book.

Spec, incidentally, is:

Vcb max 50V Vce max 45V Vebo max 30V Ie max 15A Ib max 4A thetaJC 0.5 degC/W Tj max 110degC hFE 20 min, 40 max at Ic=5A; 20 typ at Ic=12A Vsat 0.3V typ at 12A (There's much more, including graphs, if you're interested.)

Viewed from the pin side, if the peg is on the left, B is at the top and E at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

It is worth more as an output transistor for a '60 er car radio. they are germanium, and prone to high leakage currents and thermal runaway. Use a 2N3055 instead.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida