hear radio broadcast on the phone???interfere modem.

I have problem with one of the phone jack on the wall, sometimes i hear some kind of radio broadcast on the phone. Even though it's very faint, it interfere with the the dial up modem, and cause the connection to stop. I replace the old jack,but it doesn't solve it.

Another jack on the same line does not have this problem, but the jack is too far away from my computer. I don't even has a radio or walkman or TV in the apartment, so i don't know how the radio broadcast got into the phone line.

Any suggestion of how to elimnate the interfernce from the radio?

Reply to
marslee

In such cases it's common to have a simple RF filter on the incoming phone line. I have one here.

In the UK BT will fit such a filter for you.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's caused by the signal from the radio station leaking into your telephones and possibly the lines.

Listen until you hear a station ID, then call the station and ask to speak to the chief engineer about an interference problem. Be polite and they will help you fix the problem.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

If the audio is intelligible, it is an AM station. Is your home hear one? If so, the phone company will usually install a filter for no charge.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Reply to
marslee

Yes, that is possible and likely. Here is what often happens: an intermittent connection (usually one with some oxidation) is acting like a rectifier. A rectifier is a detector (demodulator) for amplitude modulated radio signals. Intermittent joints, splices, or connections can change with the phase of the moon or the amount of lint in your dryer.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I live a mile from a 5KW AM station and had problems with radio audio in the telephone. My phone jacks were wired with jacketed two-pair unshielded wires. One of the pairs was unused. It turns out the unused pair acted as an antenna and fed RF to the phone. The phone rectified the RF and you know the rest. My solution: ground the unused pairs close to the tie point of your incoming phone line's terminal block; a cold-water pipe is best. That fixed my interference problem.

Xmttrman

Reply to
Xmttrman

I live a mile from a 5KW AM station and had problems with radio audio in the telephone. My phone jacks were wired with jacketed two-pair unshielded wires. One of the pairs was unused. It turns out the unused pair acted as an antenna and fed RF to the phone. The phone rectified the RF and you know the rest. My solution: ground the unused pairs close to the tie point of your incoming phone line's terminal block; a cold-water pipe is best. That fixed my interference problem.

Xmttrman

Reply to
Xmttrman

Marslee-

The FCC did a study and found that 68 percent of phones tested at that time, would receive radio interference. I can't find the report, but did find a summary at:

In your case, the problem might be in a phone at another part of the house that you don't suspect. If not, it is likely to be a problem with the wiring as others have suggested.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie