PIC16F84A Newbie Question

Hi,

I am a newbie to PIC programming and electronics in general and just had a few questions - if this is not the forum, please let me know:

: What is the easiest way to connect a PIC16F84A (assuming no input or output PINs are used), just to get it ticking? : Can PIC16F84A be used with 20Mhz oscillator? : A lot of diagrams make use of two capacitors connected to the two PINs (OSC1/OSC2) of the oscillator - why is this necessary? : Is the PIN connection of the Oscillator to OSC1/OSC2 on the PIC important - can it be reveresed? : Do I always need to connect a pull-up or similiar device to the MCLR PIN? Is there no way on PIC16F84A config to disregard MCLR pin (I have looked but not found anything in the configuration bit - unless I have got a inaccurate datasheet)? : Can someone explain grounding in context of a simple variable Voltage DC adapter - meaning - the socket into which the adapter plugs has three pins - one for postive one for negative and one for ground - is negative and ground connected to each other? Most sketches only show the ground symbol or a 0V? Thanks for the help.

Regards Carl Meyer

Reply to
ManBoye

Thank you so much for all the help - sure you have heard all these x1000 before. This should be more than enough to keep me experimenting all weekend.

Regards Carl-Peter Meyer

Reply to
ManBoye

I am relativly new to PIC and have some basic knowledge of electronics

Email me cjunk@[remove This Part]bigpond.net.au and will show you lots of sites I have found over the last 12 mnths, covering small projects using the

16f84, Ir projects, robots etc

pic16f84 manual. youll love it

Reply to
CJunk

well not sure if I am help to spam group but I did look at the :-

and it is very usefull stuff for the beginner

David

Reply to
david