what is Linux root File System ?

    I want to know what is a root file system.

Whether u refer to a one single file or multiple files as root file
system.

When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the kernel
and root file system are different files or same files.

Regards,
john

Re: what is Linux root File System ?

Is a file system that is mounted at the root of your installation,
so is the 'root' of the other file systems (duh!)

Davide

--
For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running
under NT, which makes about as much sense as building a prison out

Read this:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEROOTFILESYSTEM

--
        Markku Kolkka
         snipped-for-privacy@iki.fi

Re: what is Linux root File System ?

It is the file system that's hosting the / directory (as
opposed to /home, which I'd call the "users file system").

Nonesense.

Pardon?

Alexander Skwar
--
People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves.
·_·¯·_·¯·_ ♘♞♟♙♖♜

Whatever file system you designate as root[1].

The kernel is files withing a file system. If it's convenient, put it
in root, if not, put it in /boot. The way that you configure your boot
loader must match where you decide to pout the kernel.

[1] It's called root because it's the basis for referring to all other
    files and directories. If you have multiple file system, you need
    to mount the others into access points, after which they are
    treated as though they are part of root.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
Re: what is Linux root File System ?
I think root file system is the place that linux kernel recognize as
it's root place.

normally, we have a single file that contain the root filesystem. and
load it to memroy.

Best Regards,